Kokopelli

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
And how does the week of March 27 through April 4 work for everyone who's really interested? Three 3 nights camping on the way, followed by a few days in Moab? Then you get three full weekends when you get back before CM.
That might be a little early. The USFS campgrounds in the La Sals open usually in mid May, but the spring melt seems to usually be pretty well on its way by mid April. Late March could still see the roads closed and Upper Porcupine still snowed in. So bypassing Rose Garden and the La Sals, hmmm. Could just spend 3 days riding around Fruita...

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I was only suggesting early in attempt to quell some of the "it's too close to CM" cries... so IMO this has to be in April then, can't be after Moab that's just too hot plus the rest of the summer is too busy.. and I don't want to wait until next fall. so how about April 11th through the 17th then? Or are you saying we wouldn't be allowed to camp?

edit: Also Jeremy, thanks again for all the info, do you think you or anyone else from Wasatch would want to go with us? Once we decide on a date, of course.. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• calendar.JPG
    calendar.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 162

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Or are you saying we wouldn't be allowed to camp?
No, just mentioning the established campgrounds won't open until they are reasonably sure there will be no snow. I think by middle April there should not be too much snow and by Cruise Moab timeframe there will be very little left. Naturally we take the risk of a big snow year anytime planning spring trips in the mountain. I think around April 13th would be probably fine.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
One other thought on dates is just combine the timing with Cruise Moab... leave Loma Saturday the 24th, then roll into Moab by Tuesday or Wednesday. That date would exclude anyone who wanted to go to Moab early to prerun & help setup, but that also would make for a pretty dang cool vacation.. plus it would only be a week off of work for both.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
One other thought on dates is just combine the timing with Cruise Moab... leave Loma Saturday the 24th, then roll into Moab by Tuesday or Wednesday. That date would exclude anyone who wanted to go to Moab early to prerun & help setup, but that also would make for a pretty dang cool vacation.. plus it would only be a week off of work for both.
I rode the Kokopelli the weekend of CM in 2007 (see write-up link earlier). No snow and definitely not cold. It was a little muddy still on Upper Porcupine, but hard to say that wasn't just from rain. I think either plan would be workable, either as an extended CM pre-run or a stand alone trip.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I might be in for next spring. I'd love to mountain bike it. My bike is a hard tail with a decent shock up front -- think that would be OK?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
mine's a single speed hard tail that will probably have a rigid front by then and i'm gonna go for it!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well mine's a full suspension that tends to do more hanging in the garage than anything lately... and I'm still in. But realistically my expectation is drive the whole way, and if there's a few fun miles where someone else can drive my rig then ok I'll ride my bike for a bit, but my role in this is more support vehicle than anything. :)

So you guys all good with making this be the "long way to Cruise Moab" run? If so I say we get the hammer and chisel out..

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
mine's a single speed hard tail that will probably have a rigid front by then and i'm gonna go for it!
What's the longest ride you've done on that?

I ask because consider that it will be 3 back-to-back-to-back >45 mile days. Takes me about a total of 24 hours of actual cycling to ride it, usually about 7, 10 and 7 hours days when stopping for lunch and sightseeing. That assumes decent weather.

The first day would be fairly short distance (if you skip Western Rim, about 30 miles) but Mary's Loop to Rabbit Valley is a fairly technical ride. With Western Rim (which I highly recommend), it's about 42 miles.

Depending on the schedule, the second day will be about 60 miles total (you can bypass Yellow Jacket to cut off about 6 miles) with the Dewey to Top of the World climb (6 miles, 1500'). There are some very long flat sections where you are spun out in big ring out near Cisco, too.

The last day would be 45 miles long with about 20 miles and 4500' of climbing total. If you do Porcupine, then it's also a pretty technical day. If not, going down Sand Flats, then it would mostly just smooth roads. Could add Slickrock in that case, though.

I am not discouraging you, plenty of people do it on rigid one speeds, but gears and squish might make it less of a death march. Don't misunderstand, I've done 18 hour races and Jeffco trails on my singlespeed. No way my knees and back would take Kokopelli on it, though (and it has a front shock!).

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I dunno, 30 miles and 3000 feet of climbing in a day followed by a few more days of 20-24 mile rides with 2000 feet of elevation gain? Lots'a stuff in winter park, crested butte, and breckenridge and some small peices of the colorado trail. Maybe Kokopeli is too much? I've never ridden a geard bike out here (west of the Ms. River) so i have a hard time comparing but i know it sucks sometimes when everybody is rolling in the big ring and I am kinda coasting along.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Maybe Kokopeli is too much?
Probably not a problem for you. I just must suck worse than I thought. :) I roll a 26" wheeled, 5" travel, 27 hard-working-geared bike for 95.73% of my rides. Bear Creek, sure on one, but otherwise I curl up and cry like a little girl after about 20 miles without suspension or gears.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
So you guys all good with making this be the "long way to Cruise Moab" run? If so I say we get the hammer and chisel out..
I wasn't planning on CM next year, so whatever is fine. Does that mean Kokopelli would be the weekend before CM or during the week leading up to it? I would prefer for it to span the weekend days for accrued (or lack there-of) of vacation time.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Dates: yes, weekend, leaving Saturday 4/24 am when it's still dark out... meet at City Market in Fruita at 10:00? That's presuming CM starts Wednesday 4/28 which I don't believe is official yet but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

Attachments

• 800x600_blank_2010_april_calendar_edited.JPG
    800x600_blank_2010_april_calendar_edited.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 161

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I like this plan: combining CM with the Kokopelli Trail. I'm going to start riding more!

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
There are also a few sections folks can hike, like up to the Top of the World".

Last Sept. Melinda hiked this section 7 months pregnant and it was a really a nice hike.

Here is a link to 2 video's of our kokopelli run via Toyota Trail Teams. Look how low the Dolores was in September.

http://www.toyotatrailteams.com/ Then click on video's and the two kokopelli video's..If you are interested scroll down and see a great video of Robbie and the Rubicon the year we all did it.

Also here is a link to two threads and link to Woody's pics on Ih8mud with great pics of the trail..

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...lli-expedition-may-2009-lots-o-pics-vids.html

http://gallery.ih8mud.com/thumbnails.php?album=71

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...s/70251-live-kokopelli-trail-team-2008-a.html

I have a loaded e-mail with many maps and GPS of the trail also, send me a pm of your e-mail and I will forward to you.

If anyone can pull off a pre-run this fall, I would be way into that. Sept/Oct. Meet in Fruita early Friday morning, 9:00AM and be home late Sunday night.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
If anyone can pull off a pre-run this fall, I would be way into that. Sept/Oct. Meet in Fruita early Friday morning, 9:00AM and be home late Sunday night.
FWIW, I am trying to pull off a pre-run this fall. Looking like it could be around October 16 or so. It would be a bike trip, self supported (pulling my trailer), but if someone wanted to drive it that would be fine. I'd be following the bike route as much as possible rather than the double tracks.

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
Dave do you have a driver for your truck already? err..just re-read your post

I would be into bumping into you off and on during the day as our trails crossed and camping together at night. I would drive my FJ.

The timing is good as Columbus day is the following Monday. I am not sure if I have that day off but doesn't matter for me too much, I have customers on the western slope I can see on my way home.

Sounds like the makings of a pre-run...Weren't you and I trying to do this once before?? I bet we could corral Antonson and a few others to tag along

Today is such a beautiful day and I am finally moved into the Davis-Ponderosa...All I can think about is getting out on the trail, especially after sampling those Trail Teams vidoes again..