Kokopelli expedtion September 2008

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
Hi Guys,

Just returned home tonight from the Kokopelli Run with Woody.

We had 9 consumers (8 FJcs and 1 100 series), plus 3 Trail teams vehicles.

Really fun run, all pretty easy. Rose Garden a bit of an attention graber but no issues..

Thought you might like to see some pics!

381665715_gLG4u-M.jpg

381666185_K8ig5-M.jpg

381666567_kjwnY-L.jpg

381667586_SMRwv-M.jpg

381667995_qepNt-M.jpg

381667222_GRAZS-M.jpg

381669011_JXeNv-M.jpg

381669044_hnfBs-L.jpg

381669194_oc8Wo-M.jpg

381668667_sommA-M.jpg

381669358_ksrLM-M.jpg

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
Hi Matt,

Yep I think this would be a great RS/family type run.

The trail is pretty well marked. All 3 of the camp sites we stayed at had restrooms, although I saw several more remote camp sites which in my opinion add to the expedition feel of a run like this..

The delores was only about 2-3 feet deep. Looked as though it had been recently graded for better crossing. In July a FJC group went through and had to go around, it was closer to 6 feet deep.

Maybe next fall we should plan a RS run? The 100 series looked like it only had about a 2 inch lift and did fine, touched down in the rose garden a bit, so could be a great run for many levels.

One funny thing that happened, karma always has a way of creeping up on you....A guy in red Jeep was stopped with his hood up on the way up to the Top of the world, apparently overheated and had a bright yellow bumper sticker that said "Toyota recovery vehicle"....So hear comes 12 Toyotas down the hill, all offering assistance to this misguided Texan.....Luckly the Toyota Trail Teams guys had the film rolling....

Mike and I did it last year and highly recommend that trip. A RS trip would be high on my list. My Taco went right through all of it with 285s and never even used 4WD.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
OOOHHHH....AAAAHHHHH :D

So you guys went DOWN Rose Garden Hill right? Yeah I could see how that would grab your attention :D

If'n ya plan it, I'm sure "they" will come!

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
Hey Matt,

Yep did Rose garden, what a mess that trail was. It was not that bad 33s and 3" lift is plenty but it is kind of steep and tippy, I was stacking rocks just so I would not tip as much in this one section. It was like going down solo because I did not like the line of the 100 series in front of me..

I think the FJ Cruiser are similar to the 40s in the tipping aspect, don't see 80or 100s do that very much.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Looks like fun. I saw the Trail Teams Tundra and trailer on Monday as I drove into the Mill Canyon area (more on that later).

The trails we explore on the Outlaws Run are far more remote and wild if you are looking for expedition-style adventure ....

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
Hey Daniel,

Just saw your response.. Yes I am interested in what you all may have done.. The more the remote the better.. The kokopelli almost seemed like "OH we are remote, accpet hey isn't that the road right there???"

I was hoping for a bit more off the beaten path.

great shots and thanks for sharing them.

Could I ask where is that point with the photo opportunity of the vehicle on the ledge like that? It is the fifth picture in your series above

thanks I have seen it before Chris

and I did sort of think it was "Top of the World" but never realized it was a part of that trail.

Appreciate the reply.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You should try doing it on a 650cc desert motorcycle some time. BOATloads of fun. If any of you fellers ride and are interested let me know, we do an annual ride around St. Paddy's Day.

Rumors are, we might do other routes than the Koko this year, just to change it up.