RS Moderator

Attachments

• katy.gif
    katy.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Right on, Wes. Oneof my favorites too. I haven't known the title for about 30 years, but I recognize the cover. (Visual thinker)

I also had a favorite book about an old steam shovel that digs a foundation hole so deep It can't get out so they use the boiler in the steam shovel to heat the building.

Ah, just looked on the left pane on the amazon page and yep, there that one is too. "Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel."

http://www.amazon.com/Mike-Mulligan...0395169615/ref=pd_sim_b_1/104-4653414-7415147

Those two books might be the first books I checked out from the school library.

Dozer Nostalgia:
The family kinda has a "K.T.", only ours says "CAT Model 22." She's a 1934ish crank start crawler with a homemade blade (cut from a boiler tank!) She stays out at Leon's old Cherry farm. Leon uses her to plow snow in the winter. "I can't believe it, she fires right up on the second crank even in the winter!" (Leon loves that old crawler) Other good stories around that crawler include leaving it parked smack dab in the middle of M-22 highway. (Leon's orchard is across the highway from the barn and the crawler ran out of gas crossing the road.) Pulling a semi out of the sand. (Ever see a dozer fling sand from spinning tracks?) "Don't stall the engine on a crank start dozer with the blade up against the tree you are pushing over." (You have to crawl UNDER the tractor and pull the crank from underneath! I think I'll rename that story, "Ways farm kids can die.")

Attachments

• mike.gif
    mike.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited by a moderator:

wesintl

RS Moderator
ah Mike Mulligan is great! Thanks for reminding me about that one! I totally forgot. I'll see if the tattered cover has that one today.

Ok, How about we turn this into the childrens book thread?
Shel Silverstein is good and same with Dr. Suess, any others people recommend?

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
Eric Cale

Or maybe it's Eric Calle...we love his books!

We're also enjoying the "If you give a "_____"" books. Like if you give a moose a muffin...etc...

wesintl

RS Moderator
CardinalFJ60 said:
Or maybe it's Eric Calle...we love his books!

We're also enjoying the "If you give a "_____"" books. Like if you give a moose a muffin...etc...

you mean like "Walter the farting dog" :lmao:

:thumb:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Here are some faves from my childhood. These are books suitable for 7-10 year olds. I'll post up some of my kids' favorites later.

Attachments

• matthew_looney_voyage.jpg
    matthew_looney_voyage.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 136
  • matthew_looney_invasion.jpg
    matthew_looney_invasion.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 133
  • matthewlooneyspacebook.jpg
    matthewlooneyspacebook.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 130
  • call_it_courage.jpg
    call_it_courage.jpg