jump starter battery pack

satchel

Rising Sun Member
I'm moving more towards going away from dual batteries and towards a large portable battery I can move between trucks, and a jump starter battery pack to renew my starting battery if something went wrong.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a jump starter they like?

Seems like the 1000A noco like below is a good option but not sure if spending a little more for extra juice is worth the squeeze.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I have the GB40 you linked to and the GB150 for when we had the Sprinter. I also have an older Antigravity XP20, and all 3 have been excellent for jump starting and for charging stuff in the tent. I too prefer a battery pack with 12v and solar inputs to a dual battery and use Ecoflow for both and have been very happy with everything for normal car and tent camping.

satchel

Rising Sun Member
I have the GB40 you linked to and the GB150 for when we had the Sprinter. I also have an older Antigravity XP20, and all 3 have been excellent for jump starting and for charging stuff in the tent. I too prefer a battery pack with 12v and solar inputs to a dual battery and use Ecoflow for both and have been very happy with everything for normal car and tent camping.
That's great info. I also use an EcoFlow for most of my external needs. If you only needed a starter pack as a backup for the primary if it dies and nothing else, do you think the GB40 is the best choice?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I have a GB40 and it's started a couple of engines. Haven't had the chance to try it on anything highly demanding like a locomotive engine, though it helped my 1GR V6 with a very weak but not 100% dead, battery. I have no complaints and wouldn't hesitate to buy one again based on quality and physical size.

I'd probably consider going to a higher capacity one, though. The battery inside these is 24W-hr. That's important to know if you're using it to charge phones and things so that you don't end up having your jump box dead if you're out camping. A phone is generally 10 W-hr, give or take.

I dunno how you feel about Project Farm but he tested a few jump boxes including the GB40.

View: https://youtu.be/JN8A2nIMUWA

Last edited:

Pz10420

Trail Ready
I have a cheap off brand jumper I tot off Amazon a few years ago. It's has worked great on many occasions but I still have a dual battery setup so I don't really ever have to completely rely on it in the back country. But I am also considering text rid of my dual battery set up as well since I bought a 100ah lithium battery that I can more between trucks depending on the needs. Still trying to figure out a good way to keep that charged while on a longer trip though.

satchel

Rising Sun Member
Appreciate all the responses. Went with the Audew based off of the video @DaveInDenver posted above.

1711728930286.png

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Appreciate all the responses. Went with the Audew based off of the video @DaveInDenver posted above.

View attachment 128369
Would like to know how it works for you. I don't know what to think of that guy. I think he's mostly entertainment but I don't see anything in that video that seems blatantly lying. My GB40 seems fine up for our roughly 1kW size starters. It might not start a big V8 or diesel but it doesn't claim to either.

Burt88

Trail Ready
I use the same setup and love it. I have a NOCO GBX55 1750A tucked away for jump starts and run all my interior accessories with a lithium battery bank. It's way easier than dual batteries and I haven't had any issues whatsoever. Well, take that back, my bank is a little too small to run a coffee maker.

I went with the NOCO because it was available at AutoZone. Antigravity is also a nice one. Did you know Antigravity is making batteries now with a jump pack built in? Kinda cool. I'm waiting to hear how well they hold up to the heat and cold of the engine compartment.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I have the GB70, I had a GB40 that I passed down to the Rav. The GB40 would not get the 80 going a few winters ago when it was completely dead. I’ve had no such trouble with the 70 it rocks.

I think Daniel has had similar luck with the 40 or 50