Jenny Creek Kiosk Install

60wag

Rising Sun Member

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Kudos to all involved to bring this off! I wish, like many others, that I could have had a hand in the building and the raising of such an awesome kiosk.

Looks like it was a great time.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
A nice side benefit: this project means we donated 136 hours of install time, plus the 64 (minimum, maybe more, John can confirm the math) of fab & materials transport time, for a total of 200 man hours (OK, including 8 woman hours :lmao:). The USFS counts this as an hourly in-kind donation figured at some hourly rate of equivalent labor (not sure of the rate). NOT insignificant!

Thanks all for making this happen!

I guess I mis-understood when this was all going to occur. Saw most of you coming up the road around 10:30am Saturday-were we supposed to meet at the Jenny Creek trail or the Yankee Doodle lake? Hung out for a couple of hours at the lake - but never saw any Yotas until on the way back home. Had to be back for the kids by 1pm so the timing was all off for me. I'm either too early or about a day late for most of these events, someday I will make an official club event....

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Met at Rollinsville at 9, left there about 9:40 after waiting for stragglers. I went pretty slow up to Yankee Doodle, towing the auger. We got started about 10:30 or so I guess?

Sorry we missed you! We were the long slow line of mostly 80s... :lmao: following a green 4Runner towing an auger...

yup- saw you all at one point or another-stopped to chat with the motorcyclist that broke his collarbone on a end over end-just minutes before Terry (I think in an older 4 door-maybe a 55?) came up and then saw at least one 40 and I think I saw Romer hauling a trailer. That was me on the side picking the wild raspberries and waving at ya as you all blew by-maybe a mile down from Yankee Doodle lake. Didn't miss me-I just couldn't stick around any longer waiting to get started-I was thinking folks were staying over on Friday nite and would be raring to get to work.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Didn't recognize you on the trail Ron, sorry about that. :) I was haulin' arse up there as I had a late start. That was probably me in the 40 you saw.

There's always another project, looking forward to the next one. :beer: :thumb:

A little birdie told me tonight at the BRD meeting that the FS is going to want parts of the Kiosk taken down...

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Which parts?

If I had to guess it's probably the "Rising Sun" top piece that throws the shadow on the board. That's the only thing that could be removed and still have a kiosk. :)

Beater

Hard Core 4+
if so, we can take the sun portion off, it will leave a mark, but it won't be a disaster. about 2.5 hours of grinding/cutting.

I would like to speak to the district first.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
A little birdie told me tonight at the BRD meeting that the FS is going to want parts of the Kiosk taken down...
Not a betting man, but I would have bet the sun part would be objectionable. Figgered I'd wait and see and say nothing - it was kinda cool.

The USFS is generally averse to flexibility and creativity (at least since they adopted bungalow-style architecture in the '30s), and the BRD particularly so. Glad I didn't go. Woulda felt like a slap in the face.

Yeah...it is the iron work that doesn't "fit" into the plans. Government work = precision work.

I guess the phrase "It is good enough for government work" doesn't work on the over doing it side, just under doing it.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I understand the feeling...

Nevertheless we should suck it up and do it.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
That is too bad if that is the case...I think it is cool how it casts the shadow and it is sort of like the signature of the Club on the work done. I can't believe people would find it objectionable? It isn't like it is a statue of a naked person in the middle of an intersection :eek:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
It is true that I have received exactly zero communication from the Boulder Ranger District on this, so maybe we will let it lay as it is till I do...

That is too bad if that is the case...I think it is cool how it casts the shadow and it is sort of like the signature of the Club on the work done. I can't believe people would find it objectionable? It isn't like it is a statue of a naked person in the middle of an intersection :eek:

Government work, it wasn't in the original spec so it isn't allowed... Like Bill said though, wait and see what they say if anything at all.