JDM 80 Racks

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Anybody interested in going in with me to get a rack or two from Japan? I'm prolly going to get one of these if all works out. :)

Attachments

• Type_W_Mid.jpg
    Type_W_Mid.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 217

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
How much.. including slow boat & truck to sunny Colorado?

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
If we can get a few of us together we should be able to get them here for under $1,000 new. The more we order the cheaper it is. If anyone has a request for something different. I'm all ears.
noselda_bk.jpg
Type_F.jpg

Type_II.jpg
Type_W_Mid.jpg

Type_W_Low.jpg

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Anybody interested in going in with me to get a rack or two from Japan? I'm prolly going to get one of these if all works out. :)

For that price you can get a really sweet modular, aluminum Outback rack. I think I'll pass.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Prove it. :)

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Are those aluminum or steel? Looks like they're running $550 for a 1/2 rack and nearly $1,200 for a full w/rails. That's $300 more than I'm hoping to get one of the others here for.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Are those aluminum or steel? Looks like they're running $550 for a 1/2 rack and nearly $1,200 for a full w/rails. That's $300 more than I'm hoping to get one of the others here for.

Aluminum. Out's have the sweet hold down system and are completely modular so if you decide you dont need the rails you can take 'em off and start parking in the garage again! Modular is worth $300 to me easily! If you do some snooping and have cash to buy you can shake out a better price too as there are a few vendors here in the states. Do a group buy on the Out's and I bet the price would come down quite a bit too!

corsair23

Hard Core 4+

What are you gonna do with your RTT? :D

Beater

Hard Core 4+
or make one :) maybe not modular, but can be done in aluminum for under 300 in materials.

j

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah, I'm out.. for that money I'd rather have one of the racks that Alvaro sells, or the Austrilian one from Slee. Also I know Boston Mangler was trying to sell his Austrailian Outback one, he's got some posts in the rooftop tent thread in outfitting, haven't been there for a while though so not sure if it's still available.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Yeah, I'm out.. for that money I'd rather have one of the racks that Alvaro sells, or the Austrilian one from Slee. Also I know Boston Mangler was trying to sell his Austrailian Outback one, he's got some posts in the rooftop tent thread in outfitting, haven't been there for a while though so not sure if it's still available.

I think he kept the rack and mounted up the RTT to it...IIRC he wasn't to thrilled with the Thule rack setup supporting the RTT and people weight...Kind of makes me wonder myself. If you read the specs on a Thule or Yakima rack setup they don't seem to claim they'll support anywhere close to the weight of a RTT and a couple people sleeping up top :eek:

wesintl

RS Moderator
I think 2 bars spaced evenly would be fine. Thule and Yakima are very under rated in thier load specs. If you want more peace of mind put a 3rd or 4th bar under it. JMHO

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I think 2 bars spaced evenly would be fine. Thule and Yakima are very under rated in thier load specs. If you want more peace of mind put a 3rd or 4th bar under it. JMHO

I thought about going with 3 bars for the peace of mind...I guess when I actually go to install it someday :rolleyes: I'll figure it out. I have the bars, just need the feet. Now Thule has a new system that permanently attaches to the vehicle with "track feet" like I have on my Durango now. Slick in that you just pop the top of the feet off the attachment points. But I'm not sure I want to permanently attach an aftermarket rack to the LX just yet.

Heck, by the time I get it figured out they'll have floating tents that just hover over the ground :hill:

Beater

Hard Core 4+
the problem on thule and yaks is that they "fail" over time. The supports will bow from the weight, ever so slightly over time.