Jacket's next motorcycle

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I think the solution here is to just peer pressure Matt into getting the bike we all know he needs.. :D or just post up deals that are just too good to pass up, or maybe both. Here are the guidelines:

- $3000ish price range
- 450cc displacement or smaller
- 4 stroke
- titled, plated, can't be a science project to get it street legal.
- within the scope of the forum collective for tech support- can be different, but not an entirely "new frontier" technology-wise.

Jacket post up any other criteria I may have missed. :beer2:

Last edited:

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
:)

- Size criteria should be 450 or smaller. Turns out the 350 EXC is a nearly new model, so that one is out.
- Other criteria: Offload my current 2 stroke. Had two people look at it this past weekend, but no buyer yet.

This is a fun article to gawk over the 450's - I look at it often when I need a fix.

http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/me2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=news&mid=9a02e3b96f2a415abc72cb5f516b4c10&tier=3&nid=E62CDBA8FBFF409584F0416750E6F795

I like the WR450 and of course any EXC or XC-W.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
If you want me to take a look at it, I'm happy to do so.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
That WR has some potential, but there's some peer pressure around here to go Orange.....

On a side note - my favorite 2 quotes, which seem to exist in all motorcycle ads, is "low hours" and "extras."

"Low Hours" - What exactly are the Hours thresholds that all riders except me seem to know? Of course in most cases the bike in question is below this threshold....

"Extras" - Translation is that I'll have to spend lots of time unraveling the PO's hacks....

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Well, we do all drive Toyotas but at least they are different colors.

It's the ads that don't say "low hours" that make me wonder how many miles are left on a bike before it totals itself.

I think a WR would be cool. I'd like to learn more about other brands of bikes. I wonder how much of the trail spares junk that we'd carry would actually fit both on an Austrian bike and a Japanese bike?

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
If you can spend the $$. get a KTM. Some value to shared parts and knowledge with your friends. There are good deals, but you jump to the $4k to play. Get a 450-530 EXC also known as XC-w 03-07 I think this is what most of us have. Motor is called the RFS (racing four stroke) These bikes could be thought of as the 80series with factory lockers of KTM trail/desert Motorcycles. Stock tanks are about 9.5liters, 13 and 26 are also available.

My take on used KTM
Look for play in rear wheel bearings. $90
Look at the amount of wear on the clutch cover and stator cover. $100 per side
How scratched bent does the plastic look. Is it original? $150 will buy all new
Bent sidewalls on rims. $150 and 4 hours of your time
Has top been rebuild? Typical at 7k-10k miles on engine. $800 and 10 hours or $2200
Upper and lower shock mounts are bearings not bushings. $150 set
Ask owner how often oil is changed and what they use. For this kind of bike expect to hear 10 hours or 300 miles. Motorex is $14 a QT, Rotella is $14 a gallon.
Leak at the water pump (small drain hole) is not uncommon. $10 4hours
Oil leak at counter sprocket is o- ring and maybe spacer or Sprocket. $25
Bent radiators. $25-$300 per sider rebuild vs replace
Chain and sprockets last about a season and a half. $155 for a full set

Extras that add "value"-- in no particular order prices are retail guess. Figure 1/4 value on resell or buying used
Radiator guards-Aluminum $100
Skid Plate $90
Bark Busters $90
Scotts steering damper $400
Fork Breathers $40
JD ket kit $80
Reklus clutch $500
Street legal $500
New tires (to me this means they are still spending money on upkeep of the bike) $120

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Those bikes that Nak posted both look good to me. Though not street legal. Some hoop jumping involved.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
that Grand Junction one looks worth the pain to register, IMO. Though I'd like to check out the guy's house in Silverthorne, he's got quite the view. :eek:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
That GJ bike is worth the drive. Between that one and a newer WR you would have a great start to a dual purpose bike. One thing I have noticed is that the Orange parts are more expensive. You can't go wrong with either as long as they have the "magic" button.

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
That WR has some potential, but there's some peer pressure around here to go Orange.....

On a side note - my favorite 2 quotes, which seem to exist in all motorcycle ads, is "low hours" and "extras."

"Low Hours" - What exactly are the Hours thresholds that all riders except me seem to know? Of course in most cases the bike in question is below this threshold....

"Extras" - Translation is that I'll have to spend lots of time unraveling the PO's hacks....

I am a yamaha guy, so if you get a yamaha, you won't be the only blue guy for long....