I've got the HF bug - starter unit?

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I am looking for a recommendation for a good budget portable unit. I am new to ham and would like to be able to communicate with others on runs that don't have cb. I would like to purchase a unit to get used to it and begin preparing for licensing. Any thoughts on the Yaesu FT-60r for my needs?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I am looking for a recommendation for a good budget portable unit. I am new to ham and would like to be able to communicate with others on runs that don't have cb. I would like to purchase a unit to get used to it and begin preparing for licensing. Any thoughts on the Yaesu FT-60r for my needs?
This is a more general question, so probably not the best thread to discuss it. Perhaps @wesintl @Hulk @Lars can move it, although I don't think there's really a good "What should my first radio be?" thread.

To answer your question, a Yaesu FT-60R is a very fine handheld ham radio and would do fine for club runs. I generally recommend going with a mobile radio first instead of an HT. More power, easier to operate safely, etc.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
This is a more general question, so probably not the best thread to discuss it. Perhaps @wesintl @Hulk @Lars can move it, although I don't think there's really a good "What should my first radio be?" thread.

To answer your question, a Yaesu FT-60R is a very fine handheld ham radio and would do fine for club runs. I generally recommend going with a mobile radio first instead of an HT. More power, easier to operate safely, etc.
Thanks Dave!

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
thanks for posting that up...I checked it our this morning...now it's been pulled down..I missed it. OH well...I'll nab one of these deals soon enough.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
I'm looking at an FT-847 and looking at reviews. it seems like a cool radio with interesting features like satellite. any knowledge of that radio? (I'm just scouring QRZ and eHam for reviews.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'm looking at an FT-847 and looking at reviews. it seems like a cool radio with interesting features like satellite. any knowledge of that radio? (I'm just scouring QRZ and eHam for reviews.
The FT-847 has been out of production now for at least 15 years that I know. So consider them classics and approach one with the expectation that you need to either test for functionality or assume you may need to do repairs.

Common failures will be the power amp finals. It was based on the Mitsubishi 2SC3102 (VHF/UHF) and 2SC5125 (HF) which the FT-857 and FT-897 both use, too. These are AFAIK obsolete now so repairing them is getting more difficult.

The front LCD display on the FT-847 was a common failure. It's huge, easily damaged and prone to issues.

Also they have a susceptibility to power being reversed. Most radios, the FT-847 included, have a reverse power shunt diode that attempts to blow the fuse before damage occurs. This usually takes out the shunt diode, which is to be expected, but the FT-847 power supplies can still be damaged before this happens. It's not as I understand it necessarily super serious but will repair a soldering iron and some rework.

The main problem with them is Collins discontinued the mechanical filters used as upgrades. So installing better filters is now an eBay experience and you'll pay dearly for them. I have a 2KHz Collins/INRAD in my FT-857 for SSB and wish I'd have ponied up for a 500Hz when they were still available. Having a very narrow filter is necessary for CW (Morse) and handy for some digital modes (RTTY, Winmor, etc.).

If you can find a nice one the FT-847 is a neat radio and does a lot. Kind of like a dual VFO FT-857/897 or IOW like having two of them in one chassis. It was intended for working satellites but as an HF rig it's acceptable. Similar performance to other entry and mid grade Yaesu of the day, more than sufficient for normal users. Won't be great in a contest and doesn't have a ton of ability to filter and quiet noise, so don't expect miracles.

tl;dr
Neat radio, test if you can before buying. I'd happily put one in my shack if it was in good shape.

Last edited:

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
:bowdown: thanks a ton! rolling the dice on having to repair HF radios does not sound appealing to me right now. it really is a cool radio! thanks again...still searching for a decent deal on a radio I can start with and grow into. I'm not planning on contesting so entry/mid level is exactly where I'm looking.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
:bowdown: thanks a ton! rolling the dice on having to repair HF radios does not sound appealing to me right now. it really is a cool radio! thanks again...still searching for a decent deal on a radio I can start with and grow into. I'm not planning on contesting so entry/mid level is exactly where I'm looking.
If it's local and you can put eyes on I wouldn't be scared. Most radios that aren't in current production will be a risk in this aspect, though. Even a FT-857 is and it's only been discontinued maybe 6 months or a year. Yaesu replaced the FT-817 a couple of years ago with the FT-818 and that was probably because of parts availability, for example.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
oh boy....I don't do the facebooks. what's the high level info on that one? (meaning price). I just hit eHam, and it looks like a cool starter rig

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
oh boy....I don't do the facebooks. what's the high level info on that one? (meaning price). I just hit eHam, and it looks like a cool starter rig
I commented on his post that I was forwarding the info. There was someone else ahead but I'd send him an email anyway. Solid deal, good radio. It was the radio that preceded the FT-857 and I think may have been sold at the same time for a while. The face is better IMO than the FT-857, too.

"I have a used FT-100D HF/VHF/UHF XCVR for sale. Incl. MH36 DTMF mic; Brand New YSK-100 separation kit; Alinco DM120MV 20A dual Metered Power Supply. Original box and manual. Never been mobile. Excellent radio! Take it all for $650. wm0g@arrl.net"

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Although FWIW Shawn I wouldn't be *too* upset if it doesn't work out. You could take that $650 and get an FT-891 brand new from HRO. That would be a better HF rig but you lose the VHF/UHF and don't get that power supply. Like I say, solid deal, not screaming good.

Now as think about it more, an FT-891 for $610 at HRO is getting you a lot of radio.