• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Iron Chest - Sunday July 20th

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
I would like to make a run up Iron Chest and try to pull a GPS track and get a look at the current state of the trail. I hope some of the other committee members can come but this is not an "official" work run.

This run is open to anyone but this is not a trail for stock rigs. I would prefer F/R lockers (and/or winch) as I expect to encounter snow at the top and hope to push as far as possible. (it was run to about 11,000’ last month)

I considered doing an overnighter to hook up with the Ghost Town run for dinner but due to the number of folks on that run it may be pushing our luck.
I'd like to camp in the BV area on Sat night if anyone wants to join me that’s great. If not we can plan to meet at Johnson’s Crossing 9:30 (ish).

Post up with interest and we will see what we can put together.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Sounds like a real possibility for me Mike. I need to shake off some wheeling rust and get back to it and this would be a good start.

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
I realize that I'm competing with the Ghost Town run, Crash expressed interest, is anybody else want to Iron Chest this Sunday?

Here is a link that includes Bearing, Latitude, Longitude and distance at 17 points on the trail. Is that the kind of info needed to get it registered with the Salida Ranger District for designation as a 4x4 trail?

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cach...elmo+iron+chest+mine&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

John
KD0DCU
John,
I'm really not sure if that is complete enough or not. I know we have been asked for complete GPS route files so I would guess 17 points isn't enough.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Hmmmm... my aunt and uncle will be gone by then. Something tells me that my wife will not like this plan, though. Let me think about how I can work this...

Crash

Rising Sun Member
It's for the good of the wheeling community in an embattled area of the state. It needs the club's hands on attention. No, really!

Hmmmm... my aunt and uncle will be gone by then. Something tells me that my wife will not like this plan, though. Let me think about how I can work this...

Crash

Rising Sun Member
To expound a bit, from The Chuck Wells Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails regarding Iron Chest: "Difficult. This is one of the best known and oldest hard-core trails in the state." Also, "This trail is not shown on the 1993 San Isabel National Forest Map." Put those two quotes together and you see why it is important that we look further into maintaining Iron Chest as a viable off road route. Red Chili has tried, with little success, to engage the Forest Service folks responsible for this area in a dialogue concerning the maintenance of Iron Chest. Bill, as Rising Sun Land Use Coordinator, has proven to be a masterful coordinator of disparate groups and for him to be unable, so far, to get much of a response from the FS indicates this area needs a concentrated effort on our part as a club to prevent Iron Chest from being permanently closed to off road activity. Near Buena Vista and checking it out could be a great weekend getaway for those not doing the GTR. To further Well's comments: "The technical challenge is at the beginning while the upper portion is quite scenic." Pictures show the bottom portion of this 2.5 mile trail to be mainly loose and rocky, nothing a well set-up Toyota couldn't handle readily and nearby trails can round out a great weekend camping trip!
Please help if you can.

Convert

Hard Core 4+
I was thinking of running Iron chest for the Rally and will be looking forward to your trip report.There's a lot of snow in them hills still.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I finally did get ahold of the ranger, Bill Shuckert. They will be doing a NEPA, to evaluate inclusion into the forest travel plan (MVUM). There are a LOT of people scrutinizing what the FS does in this area, and it must be by the book.

Collaborating with disparate groups is a definite key to success. Let's just say that forest rangers do not smile as a first response when "Quiet Use Coalition" is mentioned. They are a coalition with no one else, and they work poorly with other groups. This is where the 4x4/motorcycle/mt. biking/ATV community can shine if we keep this at the forefront. The "Quiet Use Coalition" starts looking like elitist, self-centered troublemakers pretty quickly.

GPSing the route will be a big help - we can't get a vague route included. There is and will be more discussion in the Member's Only area concerning this, and there is a post concerning all the ruckus over the format of the .gpx file - it is much easier than we thought.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Mike, sorry but I have to back out of this trip this weekend. Our cat has, in a short period of time, developed asthma-like symptoms and needs to be monitored closely through this weekend. As it appears that you and I were the only two possibly going and that snow levels may still be a factor, perhaps we can reschedule for sometime in August? I hope so as Iron Chest sounds like a great run. My apologies.
Steve

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
No worries Steve, I shall not risk the wrath of the cat gods by suggesting you do anything else. ;)