Interesting electrical problem

subzali

Hard Core 4+
All you 40 owners know that if a bulb is burned out then the turn signals will flash once then stay on.

Well my right turn signal was blinking dim the past couple of days, and it seemed to be a short cause the ammeter would spike negative and the headlights would dim when the turn signal was on.

Tonight I checked it and my rear bulb wasn't even turning on, my arrow was dim and my front was dim. So I swapped the rear bulb with my reverse bulb and voila - one blink then stays on...but now the arrow is bright and both the front and rear bulbs are bright. The turn signal bulb that I put into the reverse socket works fine.

So I have one bulb that works (but not when plugged into the turn socket) but causes the arrow and the front bulb to be dim, but flashes repeatedly.
I have another bulb that works bright in the turn socket, the arrow and the front bulb are bright, but it clicks once and stays on. I'm going to check and see if it's somehow grounded (maybe to the headlights?) but don't really know where to start. Thoughts?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I would check your main ground to make sure it is clean.

I would check the grounds on all the lights. Most of my turn signal issues where ground related. The light has to be grounded to work properly

Make sure your connecions on your battery, Voltage Reg are clean

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Looks like I got lucky, just a little bad contact at the bulb, probably due to all this snow/grit etc. Working good now, but weird symptoms you don't normally see!