• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Install/Build Day????

bskey

I'm just getting back into wheeling after a few years in the Sports car scene, but one of my favorite thing we did there was have install days. We'd get together at the members place with the best tools, and do installs and mods on members cars. The guys getting the work done bought lunch :beer:, and they benefited from the knowledge and experience of the more seasoned guys.I was at the point with my Subaru that I was one of the seasoned guys, and I loved building other guys cars, and the camaraderie.

Like I said, I am just getting back into wheeling, and I know where I want to go with my truck build wise, but I have tons of questions, and could benefit enormously from others experience and some extra hands.:bowdown:

Do you all ever have these types of install days and would anyone be up for something like this? :weld:

Thanks!
Brett

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yes we've done all of that. Most formal of which has been our annual Wheel Bearing Packing Party.. which we actually didn't do last year, and are due. But it was all about one day maintenance stuff, where we'd arrange a group purchase of parts then the club would buy some grease and folks would show up to support folks in doing the work.

We've also had numerous less formal gatherings where someone just needs help lifting a hard top, or dropping an engine, putting on a lift, etc. All that needs to happen to pull that off is just post up what you're doing and when you're doing it, and ask for help. 4 Cruisers have had suspension swaps done in my garage over the past year, for example.. (ok two of them were mine :rolleyes:).

what do you have in mind?

bskey

nakman,
Great to hear this is a community that lends a hand! One thing that has impressed me so far with wheelers vs. street racers, is that it seems like more wheelers are DIY type of guys, which I very much am. I really prefer to be involved in builds on my vehicles, so when something breaks, I can fix it.

So, what I have in mind.....

I just bought an '85 4Runner that needs lots of luv!

I need to set the valves, as I have a bit of a knock but have never done valves.
I need to do a front axle seals & rebuild that.
I need to install a 3" lift
I need to install a rear 4.88 and detroit locker
I am doing the front IFS caliper swap & Master cylinder
etc......

Most of this I can and will do myself (valves, brakes), but things like the rear 4.88/locker and front seals make me a bit nervous, and I dont want to miss something on the lift and cause a lot of unnecessary headache.