I have 2lo?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Well it looks like I don't have to do the shift gate mod, it's already been done for me! Unless this is a premonition of something bad...

Anyway I discovered tonight quite by accident that my t-case shifter will make a full rectangle in both directions. Should I be worried? No noise, grinding, smooth as can be.:confused:

Ige do you know anything about this/can confirm this? I'm pretty psyched!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Just crawl under there and see if the gate is in place. I removed mine so that I would have 2 low. I love it! Only thing I can think of is...be careful not to bump it into 2low at highway speeds. That might get ugly.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
treerootCO said:
Just crawl under there and see if the gate is in place. I removed mine so that I would have 2 low. I love it! Only thing I can think of is...be careful not to bump it into 2low at highway speeds. That might get ugly.

That would take one hell of a hit! Suppose it could happen but I sure doubt it would! :eek: :flamingo: :hill:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I just can't figure out why Toyota put that gate in there. That was the only thing I could think of.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
treerootCO said:
I just can't figure out why Toyota put that gate in there. That was the only thing I could think of.
I believe I read it was the obvious....keep the customer from using the high torque of low range in only 2 WD. Basically the same reasoning they used when the only Celica they produced with real power had All-Trac. :rolleyes:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Not able to picture crawling under there and looking at it, isn't the gate on top of the t-case?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
subzali said:
Not able to picture crawling under there and looking at it, isn't the gate on top of the t-case?

It is on the right side of the tranny...

subzali

Hard Core 4+
yeah....but if you're underneath the truck looking up then you can't see the top of the t-case right? Do you take the shifter boot off and look down?

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
treerootCO said:
2Lo is especially useful on the highway....in stop and go traffic on I-70 coming back from wheeling runs! ;-)

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
subzali said:
yeah....but if you're underneath the truck looking up then you can't see the top of the t-case right? Do you take the shifter boot off and look down?
The gate itself is a piece of steel plate bent into a u-shape, bolted to the passenger side of the tranny where the t-case linkage goes. Normally to get 2lo, a notch is cut into it at the top. I'll see about taking a photo and posting it up...