I guess I need a new radiator

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Wife called today, said her car was overheating, AC wouldn't turn on. :eek: So she let it cool down, found the cap, was able to dump a water bottle in and drove home, all seems fine. Tonight I top it off with another couple cups of water, and discover we've got pink stalagtites running down the sides. I guess that is where the other coolant went?

One of the bummers of all that plastic engine cladding, you never see this stuff.. anyway it doesn't appear all that hard to swap, but I am sure I am not considering something. Anyone done this? In the GX470...

Attachments

• IMG_4670.JPG
    IMG_4670.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_4671.JPG
    IMG_4671.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_4672.JPG
    IMG_4672.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_4673.JPG
    IMG_4673.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 308

DanS

Rising Sun Member

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
They have a discount code posted in the Mud vendors section

5% Discount Code: 6F8890B8A95B59
Expires: July 7, 2017

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey cool, thanks Romer.

any other bits I should replace while I'm at it? One video I watched said it's a good time to do the thermostat.. however I have no reason to believe the thermostat needs replacing. Same with all the hoses for that matter, they all look pretty legit. OTOH, a new hose is like $9. 135k miles, 10 years old.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well that was fun. Went with the Denso from Rock Auto, also a new Aisin thermostat. the job starts with removing 5 or 6 engine covers :rolleyes: and 2 skidplates. I also took the shroud off, to clean it, but that has to come out after the radiator, then in before it. Kind of a neat job, was interesting the entire time, not really difficult.. not sure I want to do another one tomorrow though.

Attachments

• IMG_4726.JPG
    IMG_4726.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_4725.JPG
    IMG_4725.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 177

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I couldn't get to the clamp on the lower radiator hose, so I had to run out and buy a hose clamp pliers tool. Would have preferred to do the rental thing, but they don't rent that one (went to AutoZone and Oreiley) they both sell these for about $40 though, so I guess I have one now if anyone needs to borrow it.

I thought it was cool how you access the lower radiator bolts through the grill in the bumper, then through a slotted hole in the body. The videos I watched didn't do this, but when I started into it was obvious you could just do it that way, which was simple. My only other deviation is I filled both of those ATaF hoses with ATF prior to reinstallation, I bet I put 1/5 of a quart back into the system, which is about what it felt like on my arm when I pulled those hoses.

Attachments

• IMG_4728.JPG
    IMG_4728.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_4729.JPG
    IMG_4729.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_4730.JPG
    IMG_4730.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_4727.JPG
    IMG_4727.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 183

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
My only other deviation was how I filled it back up.. I couldn't find the drain on the engine block, didn't want to pull the tire as I was up on a brick already. So I just did 5 .75 gallon drain & fills.. which seems to be the capacity of the radiator. Started with distilled water, drove around the neighborhood with the heat on, drained it, water again, drove, drained, then started in with the brand new 50/50 pink. Took 4 more cycles to get 3 new gallons into the system, but in the end the stuff coming out the bottom appeared as nice as the stuff going in the top... was thinking I could swap another gallon next oil change if I feel the need to worry about it.

is that how everyone else does it? Or do the rest of you actually drain the block. I kinda want to swap the other trucks now, once i figure out where to take all this used coolant.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
, once i figure out where to take all this used coolant.

in a non commercial setting, most cities allow used coolant tp go down the toilet or sink.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
in a non commercial setting, most cities allow used coolant tp go down the toilet or sink.

Yeah, I know, and have done that before. It just feels wrong though- to put something in my drinking water, that I know I shouldn't drink. :eek:

There is a place in commerce city, by the flea market that recycles coolant. Some auto parts stores take it but not many.

2 things to consider, hopefully you accounted for; the auto in the GX takes WS ATF, not type 4, hopefully you used the right type. And the Toyota pink coolant is pre-mixed, so it shouldn't have distilled water added to it. It sounds like you basically did a flush and replaced the distilled with coolant so you should be good. The block drains are under the exhaust manifolds and you can get to them on a creeper if you have the skid plate removed.

I did the same job at approx 95k in our GX, which was 5k after I did the 90k service. To replace the radiator as part of the 90k service would have added maybe 20 minutes to the job, doing it after the fact was a 3 hour job. I would recommend anyone doing the 90k to go ahead and replace the radiator as part of the service.

I used a Koyo replacement radiator, not to impressed with how the stock Denso only lasted 95k, we will see if the Koyo holds up any better.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I'm sure I'll be doing this soon on my GX, as this seems to be a really common failure. Might need to borrow that hose ring tool from you Tim!

benjrblant

Trail Ready
Looks like Denver recommends bringing it to an approved collection site, of which some Grease Monkey locations participate:

Accepts used antifreeze, automotive oil and filters during business hours. Please note that some Grease Monkeys do not accept used motor oil and each one sets its on procedures for accepting these products. In most cases there is no fee for limited quantities. Call ahead for details.
https://www.denvergov.org/content/d...ng/recycling-directory-dropoff-locations.html

Boulder County accepts antifreeze at its hazardous materials management facility on 63rd Street near Arapahoe.
https://assets.bouldercounty.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/hmmfbroch.pdf

City/County of Broomfield holds a collection event twice a year, looks like the next one is October 7, 2017
https://www.broomfield.org/1032/Household-Hazardous-Waste-Disposal

74fj40

Hard Core 4+
You can look up your countys waste regulations on their website but as I get said, most allow you to dilute and flush down the toilet.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
There is an Advance Auto by my house that takes coolant.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
My brother just put a new Rock Auto Denso radiator in his '03 GX and the aluminum channel along the top was much thinner/wimpier than the OEM radiator, and it promptly cracked. This doesn't affect the fluid-holding ability, but it's a sign that maybe Denso isn't the best choice.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Yeah, I know, and have done that before. It just feels wrong though- to put something in my drinking water, that I know I shouldn't drink. :eek:

glycol is used in waste water treatment. it's an antifoaming agent

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
There is a place in commerce city, by the flea market that recycles coolant. Some auto parts stores take it but not many.

clear choice antifreeze..9009 Quince St, Henderson, CO 80640

i don't know if they handle walk in's though. they collect for most of the shops.