I could use some help

The wife is out of town and I have 3 days to myself, so I though I would work on my transfer case. I pulled the nose off the transfer case first because thats where I figured the problem was. The bearing was shot, and all this fell out when I started to clean it up.
DSCN0080.jpg

Also the nut on the flange is really staked down, i tried working the stake out with a cold chisel but it will not budge with a breaker bar. Anyone have a trick for getting them off?
DSCN0079.jpg

Also I could not get the shift fork off the shaft. I removed the dog end screw that holds it on and the sping and ball bearing. I did not want to beat it off because the fork and the housing are castings. Any tricks here? I need to clean the housing out because the shaft does not move freely at all.
DSCN0078.jpg

Also when you look up at the shaft coming out of the tc you can see there is a bunch of broken needle bearings whats the best way to handle those?
DSCN0087.jpg

Thanks for any help.
Nick F.
:thumb:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Have you tried MUD? I for one know nothing about t-cases...doesn't look good though :(

I searched on MUD. I did get the shift arm and and flange nut off with a little swearing. Still need to get the needle bearings out. From what I can see everything else looks fine I just need to replace the bearings and seals I pulled out. I flushed the tc with kerosene really well today, to get the rest of the crap out. Looks squeaky clean now.

Any advice with the needle bearings in pic 4?

Nick F.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Nick F. said:
I searched on MUD. I did get the shift arm and and flange nut off with a little swearing. Still need to get the needle bearings out. From what I can see everything else looks fine I just need to replace the bearings and seals I pulled out. I flushed the tc with kerosene really well today, to get the rest of the crap out. Looks squeaky clean now.

Any advice with the needle bearings in pic 4?

Nick F.

Just gotta pull the old stuff out. It's what's left of a complete roller bearing. I believe it's item #37 in the picture. $8.99 at SOR. Probably around the same or less at your favorite local Toyota dealer.

Attachments

• 070A1.gif
    070A1.gif
    31.2 KB · Views: 223
Thanks chris,

The needle bearings themselves came right out, but the housing they rode in is rusted fast to the shaft. I've been out there for hours trying to pry it out without even moving it. It sux:D

60wag

Rising Sun Member
The needle bearing shell should be pretty brittle. If you can get it to buckle in toward the center, it should crack into several pieces. Hit it with a punch towards the middle.

I just went and tried to break it out, but I only succeded in breaking the rolled edge off on the out side. Back to square one. Thanks for the suggestion:thumb:

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Dremmel tool?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Nick F. said:
I just went and tried to break it out, but I only succeded in breaking the rolled edge off on the out side. Back to square one. Thanks for the suggestion:thumb:

Small flat chisel or a long and very thin drift punch. Use it perpendicular to the machined bore and carefully tap it to split the bearing race. The race will break. You will put some small scores on the bore but just take it easy and don't gouge it. The small scores will not bother it as the bearings ride in their own race.

Last edited:

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Removing T-case output flange

Yup. You have to build a tool to hold that flange while you undo the nut.

It is pretty easy. I used a piece of angle iron about 4 feet long.
Then, drill or jigsaw out a semi circle the same size as the hole around the nut on the flange. lay that on the flange, flip it over and mark where the holes should be so you can bolt it to the flange. Drill those holes.

Bolt the bar to the flange. You can probably use the bolts from the driveshaft. (add some washers if you run out of threads?)

Now you can put your impact wrench and socket on that big nut. and hold the flange still with that 4 foot bar. (or clamp the bar in the vice.) Even if it is staked, the nut will spin right off. Paint that tool with black paint and lean it up in the corner of your shop. We're going to modify it later for another job. :)