I am so outta' da loop...

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
So sometimes I see in peoples sig line a wierd letter code about 6 letters long...

Sharkbait, I hope you don't mind but I stole your number for reference. I figured you had it out there for the world to see so...

KCØZAB

Some people are sneaky in their display of these codes:p:

Flame away! I know I am going to hear some wild tales about this one!

I am guessing Ham radio code or something!?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Its the Federal governments FCC assigned HAM Liscence identification code, also known as a call sign that must be used during communications.

If your talking on a Ham and you say hey Chris, about 20 guys will respond. Use the call sign and only Hatfield will.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Exactly! On the CB we know him as Goldielocks or Sharkbait.....on ham his name is KD0ZAB.

For instance, if I was hailing him I would break in with something like KD0ZAB.....KD0ZAB ....this is KD0CLY....Chris are you on? And depending on what frequency we could be ANYWHERE in the front range or even ANYWHERE if we hooked into a internet repeater! Pretty wild stuff! And what is really wild is you can do that with a tiny hand held about the size of a pack of cigarettes!

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Exactly! On the CB we know him as Goldilocks or Sharkbait.....on ham his name is KC0ZAB.

Speaking of that, I need to come up with a new name for my orange 40. My wife suggested Baby Shark Bait. I considered Chum. :D Hmmmm.... :rolleyes:

Say, shouldn't this thread be in chat? :lmao:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Speaking of that, I need to come up with a new name for my orange 40. My wife suggested Baby Shark Bait. I considered Chum. :D Hmmmm.... :rolleyes:

Say, shouldn't this thread be in chat? :lmao:

There can only be one......
goldfish_cracker.jpg

;) :lmao:

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Silly me, it was only just now (and with a bit of research) that I have come to fully understand that UB has his ticket. That is :cool:

Convert

Hard Core 4+

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
Call signs, like phone #'s, have a prefix and suffix. In the case of a FCC issued tech class call, it's broken down like this:

KCØ is the prefix

K= the U.S. west of the Mississippi. W=eastern U.S. A&N are also used for General and advanced/extra class. K,W,A & N are only used in the U.S.

C= The series, once all available letter combinations are used up in the suffix, the series changes A,B,C,D, etc..etc. (all the cool kids have or had a C series call, everyone else will have a D of E series :lmao:)

Ø= call district, zero land is ND,SD,MN,IA,MO,KS,NE & CO.

ZA_= the suffix

The tech suffix starts with AAA and runs to ZZZ there are a few combo's that are not allowed.

The suffix identifies the individual station.

*hint* remember this, you WILL be tested on it.

Last edited: