• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Honda Trail 90

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Father in law got this in a trade. Looks like a peach, though it won’t start. Almost but not quite. Anyone know anything about them? Martin?

d9e674e765d85076f5265dfc5b49467c.jpg

2bece607cc59c7675ba20de1a7b35645.jpg

cfa7c28ba4b93da53b479e3c93f27227.jpg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
trade for what?

and you tried new gas right? The guy who could make that thing purr is Mr. Henley... not sure if you're still in touch but he's master of old Vespas, etc.

benjrblant

Trail Ready
Woah! Yes, I had one of those- well, a Cub 90. 6v system and a little magneto to keep the battery topped up. Id start with a fresh battery, spark plug, and possibly rebuild the carb.

It's just about the same as a Cub 90, so searching for cub repair info might give more results than the Trail 90.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
trade for what?

and you tried new gas right? The guy who could make that thing purr is Mr. Henley... not sure if you're still in touch but he's master of old Vespas, etc.

Firewood :D

I haven’t done anything yet, the gas smelled ok but I forgot to ask if it was fresh. I will find out.

I certainly do remember Mr Henley, though I haven’t kept in touch :thumb:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Woah! Yes, I had one of those- well, a Cub 90. 6v system and a little magneto to keep the battery topped up. Id start with a fresh battery, spark plug, and possibly rebuild the carb.

It's just about the same as a Cub 90, so searching for cub repair info might give more results than the Trail 90.

That was about the order I was thinking as well. What’s the best way to get parts for this thing like battery? Dealer? Online store? Found a CT90 forum so been doing some reading.

Questions-there is a key slot on the right hand side of the fork-what is that for?

Is the high altitude knob supposed to stay in the pulled position? This one pulls back in.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Questions-there is a key slot on the right hand side of the fork-what is that for?

Probably a front wheel lock. Turn the front wheel all the way to the right or left, put the key in and turn it and remove it. Locks the forks in that position. Primitive anti theft device. :)

Also, are you using the choke? As I recall you pretty much need half to full choke unless the bike is already warmed up. You could try a little shot of ether as well. That would tell you if it's a fuel or spark issue.

benjrblant

Trail Ready
As Dan pointed out, the key on the fork is for the steering lock.

6v batteries for these should be somewhat easy to find. If a local shop like Let It Ride can't find one for you they should be easily available online.

The fuel tank has a manually operated petcock with an On/Res/Off position. I can't remember how many times I rode off and forgot to turn the fuel on only to have it sputter to a stall 100 feet down the road.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the tips on the wheel lock, that makes sense.

Ha ha, yeah I've done that a few times on my KTM too. But the fuel was on, so unless the fuel was bad or something was plugged should be good.

Will the bike start with a dead battery? Or does the battery need to be good for it to start? I've ridden newer bikes with dead batteries, but not sure what this one needs.

Next time I go up there I'm going to take my compression tester and I'm going to buy a new/spare spark plug in the meantime too. If it has good compression and good spark then I guess I'll have to tear the carb down and see what's going on. The CT90 guys talk about boiling the carbs in distilled water, CLR, and even Pine Sol, which I've never heard of before. I have some Berryman's so probably will try that first, or maybe even just gasoline to begin with.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
More pics

899750a55c0595c1454ef802629f2f51.jpg

70494f8d428621c61eda4fa05726892e.jpg

28d108fce734f8bce72abb9fd0474b35.jpg

5e51a44d3db1a599eb8380a0508cb1bb.jpg

c5ea7ab28f026e3b0d116f2eb5658bfc.jpg

subzali

Hard Core 4+

benjrblant

Trail Ready
I thought it needed a good battery to run.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
These things have high range and low range! That's too cool!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Hi Matt, Nice score! That thing looks like fun. :cool:

Based on past experience with old Honda bikes, I would almost guarantee you can get it running by draining and cleaning out fuel tank, add in-line fuel filter, pull the carb and do a quick dip/clean/rebuild, add some new plugs and a new battery.

Run non-ethanol, higher octane fuel if you can find it.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Martin! Yeah I guess my FIL didn't put new gas in it, he was just trying to get it started on whatever gas it had in it! So definitely will drain and fill and then I bet it'll purr! Will also find some non-ethanol. Even though the battery is dead I'm hoping it'll run anyway, but will look into getting a new battery too.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I don't think it will run with a low battery. the stators in these old bikes are pretty weak. That's why you should always use a trickle charger when it's sitting. Short rides will deplete the battery and the stator isn't usually strong enough to recharge (or keep the bike running without battery power).

Cocarlisle

Hard Core 4+
i have had three of these and have one currently
like Martin said clean everything and will most likely run like a top
call me as Im very familiar with bikes
720 569 4558

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
Looks like a blast. Old Honda mopeds(nopeds) had some decent tq for being 50cc. I'm sure this one wont disappoint either in that dept.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Those bikes can be very collectable, so it might be worth a light restoration. Surely it will be fun to ride, regardless of collector status. I dreamed about those as a kid, but only ended up with an un-rebuildable Honda Z-50 minibike with a melted piston.

desmocruiser

Rock Stacker
Cool fun bikes, they used them for mail routes in New Zealand and Australia until the past few years!

Find someone in the area who works on vintage bikes and have them clean the carb in an ultrasonic machine.

Reinstall the clean carb, fill with fresh 100% gas, change the plug, add a new 6v from batteries plus, and kick start twice!