• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Help with Quirky Transmission <-- won't shift back to first

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
My 80 seems to have a problem going back into first gear. Often I will simply shift it myself, so that when I'm pulling away from a stoplight, I can actually move out. I seem to recall some discussion of this issue, but after searching the forums, I don't see what I remember. What I remember was someone having a similar problem, and there was a part that was easy to replace.
:confused:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
My 80 seems to have a problem going back into first gear. Often I will simply shift it myself, so that when I'm pulling away from a stoplight, I can actually move out. I seem to recall some discussion of this issue, but after searching the forums, I don't see what I remember. What I remember was someone having a similar problem, and there was a part that was easy to replace.
:confused:

Silly question but your second gear start button isn't pushed is it?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Silly question but your second gear start button isn't pushed is it?

Not unless the light is burnt out. I'll check. The tranny will shift back to first sometimes, but it just doesn't seem to sense when a lower gear would be called for.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Matt,

I don't recall reading much here but on MUD I recall several threads on shifting issues...This could mean absolutely nothing but for some reason adjusting the shift linkage comes to mind as a remedy but that is from memory and sometimes my memory ain't so good...I try to read a lot of the threads on MUD just to try and get an idea of potential issues I may run into and if I do I'll know there was some info on it to look back at.

I know, not much help but might be a place to start. Not sure if there is anything in the FSM :dunno:

My first thought was like UBs in that your "2nd" button is pushed (or the Cruiser thinks it is pushed). Maybe whatever controls/senses that signal is futzed up, or your latte is resting on the button :)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
If you push your Power button, that would also deveat the 2nd start button. you know, just in case the 2nd start light was out, or button broke or something.

You'd also have more power!