Help with bumper build ideas for a fj40...

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Howdy everyone.

Stacy my dear :Princess: bought me that set of Hella 4000's last weekend for Christmas! Combine that with a few factors:

My front bumper right now isn't that great.
No good recovery points on it.
I would utterly suck in a front corner impact on the street. (this is my DD)
I have a front full width bumper that I have had for a few years. It is unmodified.

I am thinking of using the unmodded bumper as a base to build up a new bumper.

Here is what I thinking:

Mounts for recovery shackles
A hoop to protect the winch in a roll over, and a place to mount protect the hellas.
Shortened a bit on each end, but keeping enough to protect in a fender bender, but not get hung up on rocks.

I love Subz new bumper, but I would prefer to make my own.

I also love the Aussie style guards from 4+ and making something like that wouldn't be too hard either.

I personally LOVE the old school football helmet looking ARB's for 40's.

Kinda torn on this one.

What would you do?

Post up a pic/sketch of something you like please.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
To be honest, I like your idea of the single hoop over the winch the best.

Maybe make it angled instead of square, unless you are trying to avoid the stinger look.

My only other addition would be to notch the tube and bend the ends in just a hair. Give it some shape instead of a straight bar.

Then again, I'm not really that good at stuff for 40's, so take all that with a grain of salt.

Where's UB? He should have some better ideas than mine.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Here is one that I REALLY like. The hoop could be different, but I love the shape of the main beam.

.slide_IMG_1013.jpg

.slide_IMG_1000.jpg

.slide_IMG_0985.jpg

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Sorry...sometimes I think it's okay to just buy something and be done with it:
attachment.php

EDIT: oops, saw you already mentioned mine. I would have loved to build my own, but at the moment...and this was pretty much what I was looking for anyway.

wesintl

RS Moderator

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
my only input is...

...that you should put in some fog-light cutouts kinda like Waggoneer's Bad-Arse wagon. I find that the low, wide, flat amber light works nicely in the crappy weather, like what I have on the 60. my 40 has the Hella 500's, and they are spot-like driving lights which are nice, but I find I have yet to aim them in the best location. And, with the IPF headlight inserts, I need the low-flat more than I need reach.

OH...and other input would be to build into it slots or something for a Hi-lift jack to more safely or easily be used in the front bumper (or maybe just lift from the d-ring shackle?)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Martin, what the heck is that thing? geez..

Hey what do you guys think of this bumper http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/464328223.html. I need to go to Parker anyway on Friday for something else, am tempted to look at it. I emailed him, still available..

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I think you can cut and fab your long bumper to look like the one I pictured, without the lower angle, just the sides. I think it would look GOOD!

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Here's how I did mine, was about $15 worth of 5" c-channel and some scrap steel I had lying around:

Attachments

• 0506180037.JPG
    0506180037.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 148

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Here is what i played around with tonight.

I bent up some steel at Ian's place last week when we had the 70+ degree day :p:

I am thinking shortening the width.

Perhaps cut something close to the line.

The tube will lean out a bit like Subz new one and I would add a few shackle hangers from the front... at least one! :hill:

Other than that I will mount my Hellas on the outside of the tube and make provisions to mount a hi-lift on top of the hoop (like an ARB) and I like shawns idea of a hi-lift jack slot.

What else... :confused: :blah: :thumb:

Attachments

• good.JPG
    good.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 151

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
That is exactly what I was talking about, just cut the ends down a hair to give it some shape.

I like the height of the hoop. I think that looks about right if you don't want any other "outrigger" type support.