Ham license plates?

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
so...what's with vanity ham license plates? Do the extra fees go back to the activity? Is there other value? I do think they are kinda cool, in a geeky kinda way.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I think they are cool too, but anyone with internet access will know who you are and where you live...Just sayin'

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Old thread but adding to above.

I got rid of my call sign plates this year as I had someone attempt to gain access to my hotel room in Moab that I can only contribute to the fact my 80 was parked outside with my call sign plates.

We were in arches National park and received a call that someone was attempting to get keys check us out of the hotel. We had car pooled that day and left my 80 series behind. The only way anyone would have my name would have been the plates. the hotel staff thought something was fishy and called my cell. I was fortunate to have a window of service. They locked down my room and reset all key cards until I returned and showed my ID. I was lucky as both Bridger’s and my bike were in the room as well as my business computer.

stusic

Land Use Coordinator
A good reason to use a PO Box for an FCC address (I didn't think about it until after the fact), but the name will still be there. Overall, I don't think it's a big deal; even in Corbet's situation, the perps didn't have anything but a name and there's only so much you can do with that info.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
From memory you can't use a PO Box with the FCC.
I know they accept a PMB (Personal Mailbox) address. This is the real advantage for me of having a UPS Store address. It doesn't get rejected for being a PO Box for all the things PO Boxes get rejected for.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
From memory you can't use a PO Box with the FCC.
A USPS P.O. Box is fine to use for a ham license contact address. I don't know if third party UPS, FedEx or similar shipping center box can be used, though.

Screen Shot 2023-12-14 at 3.09.41 PM.png