• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Hacket & Longwater are OPEN!

isotel

I see a lot of talk about the Chinaman run on this same day, is this run not going to happen and everyone going to that run?

Alterdvision, We welcome anyone on our trips as long as the trail leader is ok with your vehicle, You should consider coming by a Colorado Land Cruisers Meeting, we are the TLCA Club For Colorado Springs..
www.coloradolandcruisers.org/

I hope to see you on the trail, or at a meeting! ;)

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
sounds like a great trip, I guess im the un-official Trail leader, and actually ive never been on these trails (I did not have a 4x4 when they where open ;) )

Any In site would be appreciated by those who have run these trails, Its my understanding that since the Park County Portions are Not Open, its no longer a loop, so do we want to run Hackett, or Longwater. then if time permits run the other?

When I used to run Hackett, it was do-able but tough in a stocker. Hackett Rock has traditionally been the gatekeeper and some may need to be strapped over it. There used to be a bypass but it got cabled off sometime in 2001.

One time I ran Hackett there was a broken F*rd blocking the lower portion of the trail, and we all had to turn around and go back up, just it sounds like you all will have to do. It was steep, dirty (as opposed to rocky) and had a lot of whoop dee doos which caused a j**P a lot of problems.

Longwater is similar in that the bottom portions are steep and dirty, and going up requires a fair amount of momentum in a non locked rig.

Both trails were really screwed up from erosion following the fire, so it is anyone's guess as to how they have groomed the trails or not after the erosion. I saw some photos of the lower portion of Hackett from 2003 that showed 10 foot deep gullies. I would guess they've either been bulldozed or re-routed, but some folks may need a strap over Hackett Rock and once you get down to the county line you'll obviously be needing a place to turn around and go back up.

Of the 2 trails, Hackett (used to be) the most fun, and I always enjoyed crossing the Platte river at the bottom. Unfortunately you won't be able to do that, but it should still be a fun trip. Have fun and be safe!

Convert

Hard Core 4+
sounds like a great trip, I guess im the un-official Trail leader, and actually ive never been on these trails (I did not have a 4x4 when they where open ;) )

Any In site would be appreciated by those who have run these trails, Its my understanding that since the Park County Portions are Not Open, its no longer a loop, so do we want to run Hackett, or Longwater. then if time permits run the other?

Trev
You are here by granted " Official Trail Leader" status. Have fun,be safe and thanks for leading :thumb:

CB Channel #4

If you are coming from the south, we are meeting at the Western Gas station just south of Woodland park.
Meet at 8:30, leave no later than 9am.

If you are coming from the Denver area, we will meet at the Longwater Gulch Trailhead

My cell phone # is 719-433-4658
Trevors cell phone # is 719-331-7516

We plan to be at the trailhead at 9:30 +/-.

We expect that the trail can be done by a stock vehicle in good condition. I personally am driving an IFS 4runner on 31's. This may change as these trails have been closed for many years. Please keep this in mind.

As everyone has been told, the trails no longer go all the way to the South Platte River, but end at the Park County line.

If you haven't had the opportunity to do any trails in this area, you will be able to see a small piece of the Hayman Burn Area, and the extensive damage, and the amazing recovery.

We will run Longwater Gulch, followed by Hackett Gulch.

Longwater Gulch is shown as destination B on the map

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...281038&sspn=0.031852,0.055189&ie=UTF8&t=p&z=9