• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Hacket & Longwater are OPEN!

isotel

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
It would be very good of you all to read this email I received from Gene King. Obviously a forward...

----- Original Message -----

To the volunteers, who donated their time and energy to trail work on July 18 and 19, thank you. With a small group of hard-working volunteers, the final work on the Teller County portions of both Longwater Gulch and Hackett Gulch was completed. On July 22, Teller County Officials and Forest Service Officials were driven over the trails to get their required approval. Teller County Officials and the Forest Service Officials gave their approval and the Teller County portions of Metberry, Hackett, and Longwater Gulches are now open. Hip, Hip, Hurray for the hard work and dedication of the volunteers.

Only the Teller County portions of these trails are now open. The Park County portions of these trails, the last portions of the trails that lead down to the Platte River, are NOT OPEN. Hackett and Longwater are open only to the Park County line. The Park County line is approximately .25 miles to .5 miles from the river. Metberry is still open to the river.

The volunteer effort to open the Park County portions of the trails will continue. The Park County Commissioners have not determined whether they will open the Park County portions of these trails. They would be opening these trails to provide access, recreation, and tourism to their county. We believe, once the Park County officials see the efforts and the maintenance provided by the volunteers, that they will want to open the remainder of the trails. The closures at the county line, although not popular with many, must be honored. We have the opportunity to show that we are committed to opening these trails. If the closures are not honored or damaged is perceived, Park County may decide against obtaining the easements necessary to open the trails. Park County must be assured that we, the off-road community, will stand behind our work and not abandon the task of maintaining the trails. Park County will not open the trails if they perceive that it will cost them labor, man hours, or money. It is a 100 percent volunteer effort that Park County will be using to open these trails. If they do not believe the volunteers are capable, they will walk away. We must police ourselves. The counties expect us to be responsible and the future of the trails depends upon it. If you see violators, take pictures, get license plate numbers or OHV numbers and report them to the Sheriff’s office. Because these trails are county easements, the County Sheriff can prosecute violators.

Opening these trails has been a very long and slow political process that has taken 100's of hours of volunteer time and years to achieve. It may be difficult to see the cable closure across the trails, but please respect the closures. With enough patience, energy, and time, we believe the trails will open down to the river.

"Character is what we do when no one is looking." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

There is evidence that motorcycles and ATV’s have been driving around the gates on Hackett Gulch. If you know any motorcycle riders or ATVers, that use this area, please encourage them to pass the word about the closures.

Julie Panek
Predator 4 Wheel Drive,llc

I am very grateful for all of the volunteers down there, this is really an accomplishment and something to feel proud about. thanks for the invite Trevor, but if I get out this weekend it's to do our own adopt-a-trail... but I think we'll have to do a run down there shortly. :cheers:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
ooooh,.....i like that idea! i'll trade chinaman for that.

Convert

Hard Core 4+
We could push it back to make it another Pre-Rally Trip on Saturday if you guys want..

How about making it the third Rally Run on Sunday? Trev you up for leading it? It would help reduce the number of rigs on the other two.:thumb:

isotel

this is an Impromptu trip, the Gulches just opened back up after 8 years of closure do to the Fire. See the CLC thread below for more details/Changes, but as of now, we are going Sunday the 9th, Denver guys can go the back way and meet us at the Trail Head at about 9:30

http://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado...t-longwater-trip-sun-aug-2nd.html#post4641638

EDIT: Date Changed to the 9th, this is the day after the Rally Meet at the Western Station in Woodland Park @ 8:30 Leaving @ 9:00

Or, Meet at the Trailhead at around 9:30

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
:(
I am on call that weekend and have to be near web access. I doubt the BlackBerry would reach cellular coverage reliably enough.

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
EDIT: Date Changed to the 9th, this is the day after the Rally Meet at the Western Station in Woodland Park @ 8:30 Leaving @ 9:00

Or, Meet at the Trailhead at around 9:30

Trev,

Probably because they've been closed, there is nothing on these trails in the Traildamage.com website. What are they like compared to Chinaman's Gulch?

You guys will have to be sure and get my cage/seat work done in time so the Mule is ready to go for this. :D

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Are runs open to anyone, or is this just a club event, I drive a Toyota?

All Rising Sun runs are open to anyone, no matter what brand or whether they are a member or not. The trail leader has discretion of advising whether a vehicle is capable of the trail and waving someone off if they think they might not make it. That's a help for everyone involved.

Hackett Gulch used to be do-able in any stock Toyota 4x4, but since the fire, it may or may not be easy or harder. I have seen photos of what used to be the trail and the looked like it might be harder, but that was a couple years ago, maybe it has gotten easier since then. I haven't run that trail since the fire. Rising Sun worked hard with CUSP to help mitigate erosion in that area after the fire.

If the group needs to turn around and go back up the hill, I have done that also, and it is challenging but not too difficult, just pick your lines and make sure you have momentum when you need it.

I will be leading Bill Moore Lake Trail that day, but look forward to doing Hackett Gulch Trail again this year!

Happy cruisin'!

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
I see a lot of talk about the Chinaman run on this same day, is this run not going to happen and everyone going to that run?

There are three runs on Sunday the 9th; Hacket & Longwater (Isotel), Chinamans Gulch (Convert) and Bill Moore (Rzeppa).

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
There are three runs on Sunday the 9th; Hacket & Longwater (Isotel), Chinamans Gulch (Convert) and Bill Moore (Rzeppa).

Interesting - Hackett and Chinaman are both around 2 hours from Denver to the Trailhead, depending on what part of town you are coming from. Bill Moore may not be super-challenging, but it is a lot closer and is always beautiful.

isotel

sounds like a great trip, I guess im the un-official Trail leader, and actually ive never been on these trails (I did not have a 4x4 when they where open ;) )

Any In site would be appreciated by those who have run these trails, Its my understanding that since the Park County Portions are Not Open, its no longer a loop, so do we want to run Hackett, or Longwater. then if time permits run the other?