Great Black Friday deals at HRO!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The TM-V71 is the same radio as the TM-D710 but without any APRS functions built in and a smaller face.

0071a.jpg

You can connect a TNC to the data port and define on side for data. When the TNC keys up the radio will switch sides to do the transmit and then return back to the voice side.

This is an example of using a TM-V71 and Mobilinkd for APRS.

https://theksmith.com/hardware/aprs...linkd-bluetooth-tnc-android-tablet-aprsdroid/

The problem with the FTM-400 is that it doesn't have a full use TNC built-in, so it's not as easy to get it to work with a tablet. You can do it with a serial-to-USB cable and OTG adapter, but it's not as easy as using a Mobilinkd. I have a special cable that Argent Data makes, the G-TRANS that I was able to get an FTM-350 to talk NMEA to a Garmin receiver, so that might be something that could be tried, too.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Thats good to know Dave. Is there any benefit to the TM-D710GA for APRS?

Does it broadcast your location when you dont have your tablet setup? Is that available for others to see on a site on the internet to follow you along?

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
One nice thing about going to the physical location off Iliff is that they only charge the 2.9% state sales tax. Somehow they are exempt from any additional city sales tax at that location. This can make a reasonable difference on a $400-700 purchase and every little bit helps.

I will also toss out that the employees are highly knowledgeable. They can answer any question you have in any level of detail that you desire!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
They have a rising sun club discount, think it is 5% on non sale items as well

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
One nice thing about going to the physical location off Iliff is that they only charge the 2.9% state sales tax. Somehow they are exempt from any additional city sales tax at that location. This can make a reasonable difference on a $400-700 purchase and every little bit helps.

I will also toss out that the employees are highly knowledgeable. They can answer any question you have in any level of detail that you desire!

That's not quite right...I picked up an FTM400 today, and you're right it's only state tax but it's at 4.25%. Also they charged the tax on the full price then deducted the coupons afterwards. Still a heck of a deal for $418.96 out the door.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I am going to go down there tomorrow

Still struggling between the Kenwood and the FTM 400

I have read numerous reviews, watched Youtube videos and I like the screen and look of the 400 a lot more

as stand alone radios they both seem to do what I want

My struggle remains with the interface to an android tablet to map where users are. I love my Android GPS setup using Gaia maps. The Kenwood seems better there, The Yaesu seems like you can do it, but it is more difficult

I am leaning towards the Yaesu

Not sure how much I would use the mapping of others, just seems like a worth while extension of a tool when out in nature. For either Help, or just tracking other members of the group

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
BTW - how do you both plan on mounting the Head units of these radios?

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
BTW - how do you both plan on mounting the Head units of these radios?

http://m.lidomounts.com/catalog/item/8254956/8951876.htm

I was thinking a suction cup like that either on the center dash behind the center channel speaker, or just above that spot on the windshield hanging down. Or I considered an L bracket off the passenger side of the center console...or even a tablet strength Nite Ize magnet mount on the face of the console. Lots of ideas but have to try a couple things to see what works best.

https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Original-Steelie-Magnetic/dp/B00HUV8GMQ

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Has Gaia introduced an interface to APRS? Backcountry Navigator can plot stations but it has built in hooks for APRSdroid.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Has Gaia introduced an interface to APRS? Backcountry Navigator can plot stations but it has built in hooks for APRSdroid.

Not that I know of. I may have to switch the Backcountry. I'll just have to play with it to figure out what I want.

Although the external interface is better for the Kenwood and easier to set up for Andriod, it is doable from the Yaesu.

I decided I liked the interface of the Yaesu much better and if I couldn't get the tablet to work, that would be worth the interface difficulties.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Went to HRO and bought the Yaesu. They said they had sold 64 radios this month, 10 yesterday and as of 11AM, 8 today including internet orders