Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I'm buying this Kenwood TM-D710GA tomorrow for $100 off! :thumb:

Link

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
The YAESU FTM-400XDR at $395 is about the lowest price that I have seen too.

Good find Mendocino

Blindranger

Hard Core 4+
I have been wanting to upgrade to APRS and on the fence between both of those radios; is the Kenwood TM-D710G worth the extra $105 over the Yaesu FTM-400XDR?

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
That is a good find. I didn't realize they have a physical location in Denver off Iliff. I might go over there and check it out!

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
That is a good find. I didn't realize they have a physical location in Denver off Iliff. I might go over there and check it out!

I just returned and have a new radio for Ruby. :D

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I just returned and have a new radio for Ruby. :D

:thumb: I'm looking to get Ruby a radio too :D I'm leaning towards the Yaesu though, mostly because it's the only brand I have experience with. The Kenwood looks really nice though, and the remote faceplate looks like it will be easier to find a home for.

wesintl

RS Moderator
After having multiple yaesu i tried to switch to the kenwood. I lasted like 2 weeks before I took it back for the FTM350

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
:thumb: I'm looking to get Ruby a radio too :D I'm leaning towards the Yaesu though, mostly because it's the only brand I have experience with. The Kenwood looks really nice though, and the remote faceplate looks like it will be easier to find a home for.

The Kenwood separates too. I like the Kenwood because of the size of the display and the ease of UI use. I have a Yaesu 857D which I like a lot, but the UI is a challenge.

In any case, HRO has lots of radios on sale!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have a 7800 that is still working great.

What can I do with the YAESU FTM-400XDR? Looking for a good reason to upgrade :)

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
My questionwas answered in another thread

The key features an FTM-400 would have over an FT-7800 would be:
  1. Dual band and dual VFO, which means it can have two channels on RX simultaneously, like an FT-8800
  2. Built-in APRS, which can be assigned to the background and the radio will switch automagically to TX a beacon with no intervention
  3. Does Yaesu Fusion digital modes as well as analog FM

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Looked over the 400 and the fact you can't connect a mic to the faceplate is a non starter for me

The 350 isnt for sale anymore and didnt see a used one

Any experience with the 100DR https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=71-002024

I don't need the quad band of the 8900 but that could be an option
https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-000125

My nephew just bought a 200 so thinking I could give him my 10 year old unit and get an upgrade

I am mostly 2M, just trail runs. The connecting to mapping software is interesting and maybe a potential

Being able to connect to Colorado Connection easier would be a selling point

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Looked over the 400 and the fact you can't connect a mic to the faceplate is a non starter for me

The 350 isnt for sale anymore and didnt see a used one

Any experience with the 100DR https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=71-002024

I don't need the quad band of the 8900 but that could be an option
https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-000125

My nephew just bought a 200 so thinking I could give him my 10 year old unit and get an upgrade

I am mostly 2M, just trail runs. The connecting to mapping software is interesting and maybe a potential

Being able to connect to Colorado Connection easier would be a selling point

That point annoys me too. I intend to mount whichever radio body to the back of the ARB drawers (just behind the second row seats) and run the cable for the faceplate up to the front, so it isn’t ideal to have to run 2 cables up there. I’ll try to find out how long the mic cable is to see if it will reach from there without an extension.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Its not a big deal to extend the mic cable from the body forward.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Looks like you can get the Mic extension fairly cheaply

Been reading between yaesu 400 and the Kenwood. Big talk about Digital repeaters that I am ignorant about. Fusion, D Star and another type. No industry standard

Looking for guidance. Does this automatically connect or show the available repeaters if within the format style of the radio. If not, what does it mean?

Also, how do Colorado Repeaters line up with each format and considerations for purchase if that is a feature you are looking for. Not sure exactly what that feature is but want to understand when picking between the two

Appreciate the experts weighing in, I have a few days of the special to chew on this

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
Looks like you can get the Mic extension fairly cheaply

Been reading between yaesu 400 and the Kenwood. Big talk about Digital repeaters that I am ignorant about. Fusion, D Star and another type. No industry standard

Looking for guidance. Does this automatically connect or show the available repeaters if within the format style of the radio. If not, what does it mean?

Also, how do Colorado Repeaters line up with each format and considerations for purchase if that is a feature you are looking for. Not sure exactly what that feature is but want to understand when picking between the two

Appreciate the experts weighing in, I have a few days of the special to chew on this

Ken if you sell your old one, I need another for the DD and I’d be interested in buying.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I started a separate thread to understand the Digital formats

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Ken if you sell your old one, I need another for the DD and I’d be interested in buying.

Thanks for the interest Justin. One of the reasons to upgrade would be to sell to my Nephew who just bought a cruiser and wants to get a ham license and build his rig, so I wouldn't be selling it to others.

Doesnt seem to be a clear winner in the digital mode that I can see, but hoping an experienced person will comment in the other thread I started.

Is APRS then the only other real thing to consider in features. Both radios mentioned are dual band FM and great radioes

I dont know much about APRS, what I would like to do is connect the radio to my Android tablet running Gaia

The interface would have to be Blue Tooth and so it looks like I would need the MobilinkD with the Kenwood which bypasses the Kenwoods TNC

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
If you're thinking of using a Mobilinkd & a tablet for APRS then the TM-V71 makes the most sense. No reason to spend +$200 just to bypass the extra stuff you get with a TM-D710.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
A separate face plate is key for me and the TM-V71 doesnt appear to have that

I do like the color display of the Yaesu and almost $200 off is a good deal and almost the same price as the TM-V71. The Kenwood looks like a great radio at $100 more as well

Your detailed response in the Digital thread takes Digital out of the equation for me as a driver. Nice feature, but not a driver for me

I was impressed on our trip how you were able to see the other people on the run through APRS