wesintl

RS Moderator
Nope..

Below is the govenment snow plow I see:

Last edited:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
LOL

In my neighborhood everybody dug themselves out only to have the plows and then a road grader come through and put it all back. It is a challenge just getting in and out of my driveway :)

I've heard many politicians stating that the biggest problem they had was all of the 'trucks' and 'SUVs' that got out and drove around packing down the snow...Maybe the expectation is that we all just sit at home and wait for the plows to come by? Right.......

I've also heard many reports of people with plows that tried to help out only to be told by cops to stop because legally they couldn't plow public roads...

Next major blizzard I'm telling work I can't get out until the snow plows come through :)

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
My street was never plowed from the first storm. It looks like a frozen moonscape out there. I'm amazed how some of the smaller cars can even drive down it.

Doesn't effect me much though, the bumps just remind me of wheeln' :D

You all are so fortunate. We don't have any snow on the ground. In Idaho the government snow plows are even more useless. They keep them in Boise and they take off each morning to go plow their part of the state. Some of them travel 300 miles of clear roads to plow 50 miles. It is crazy. Every morning I see them driving from Boise to MH on the interstate. Then they drive home in the evening. I bet 98% of the miles put on plow trucks in Idaho are with the blades up.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Want us to load up some snow and ship it up to you :) In my work parking lot they've been trying to clean it up so people can actually park. They've been at it for days using a big front end loader and a dump truck. Some of the snow 'mounds' they've created look to be 15+ feet high. That stuff isn't going to melt for a long, long, long time.

As for the 'method' of clearing roads in ID...That doesn't sound like a very environmentally friendly way of doing things...Talk about a lot of windshield time

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
The plows have finally cleared the major streets in my neighborhood. And created dams of BIG chunks of ice blocking the side streets and alleys.

So the front loader came down the alley and 'smoothed' the 2' of icy snow there. I climb out of my driveway that slopes downhill, up to the alley.

So then the plows come by again and stack ice blocks at the end of the alley...

But at least there won't be any snow this time around. How do I know? I bought a snowthrower...

I feel for you.

I have a funny LC and Toyota story about snow piling up in parking lots. When I was in High School our school piled snow up like that in the corners. One of my friends was constantly late to school so he decided to drive up the snow bank and park on top of it. It was probably 15-18 feet high. During the day it settled. He was up to the bottom of the doors at lunch and by 3pm it way up to the windows. My folks were out of town so I drove my dad's FJ55 to school. Next thing I know I was walking out class a little early and there was a chain wrapped around the rear center section of the 55s bumper. He was going to try to help me yank him. Needless to say there was some poor communication. He decided to try to drive over the top. He was in low 4 4th gear spinning about as fast as he could go when I was told to yank him. I was in 1st low and just romped on it. He wasn't moving much because I was on ice so I gassed it and slide to a little dry spot and for some unknown reason I decided to shift to second. That gearshift jerked him enough that he went flying into the air coming straight at me. I was watching the whole thing in the rearview mirror. Seeing the bottom of his 35" tires spinning coming at my rear window was enough to make me gas it again. That old 55 dragged that mini truck around like it was a rag doll. It also probably helped that he was on ice. I don't know how we didn't smash other cars in the parking lot. We got out of there just as the rent a cops from the school showed up. I had crunched the rear bumper on the 55 from wrapping the chain around it. I spent the next few days with channel locks and an adjustable wrench trying to straighten it out before my dad got home. I told my dad about it the day he sold our 55. 16 years old and stupid chains. If it wasn't for my friend's arrogance I would have had to yank him out.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Got stuck in my own cul de sac yesterday while going to hockey. I was pulling out of my driveway and going around the 10-15' "snow island" in the middle of the cul de sac. Since it was dark I did not pay to much attention and drove right into a snow bank, stuck I was. Seems our neighbor down the road decided to clean the front of his drive way and blow all the snow to the side of the road and out towards the middle creating a NEW snow bank.

So, I am stuck and late for hockey. Dig myself out, wife drives the truck out as I push and I am on the road. I look at my front bumper/valance today and what do you think I see? A nice little dent in the valance and an area, 2x5"s, of paint all chiped to (&%*_

The ice is all over our cul de sac, we need to put the trucks in 4x4 to get in and out of the driveway. Small cars get lost in the ruts, kids have to walk their bikes in and out of our neighborhood and we have lost all our turn lanes creating a mess at the stoplights.

Thanks for listing I am done with my rant now.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
LOL...Looking back on it is funny but at the time...

My "friend" did a similar thing in High School only he did it in the parking lot of a Burger King where I worked and he did it in his folks Suburban...No way my '77 Subaru was pulling his idiot a$$ off that mound of snow :)

So, how much snow did you want us to have shipped up to you? Maybe enough to make a 15-20' high pile just for kicks??? You know if you build it somewill WILL try to climb it :lmao:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
LOL

In my neighborhood everybody dug themselves out only to have the plows and then a road grader come through and put it all back. It is a challenge just getting in and out of my driveway :)

I've heard many politicians stating that the biggest problem they had was all of the 'trucks' and 'SUVs' that got out and drove around packing down the snow...Maybe the expectation is that we all just sit at home and wait for the plows to come by? Right.......

I've also heard many reports of people with plows that tried to help out only to be told by cops to stop because legally they couldn't plow public roads...

Next major blizzard I'm telling work I can't get out until the snow plows come through :)

The rumor is correct, private plows are not technically legal to plow public streets. I do a few friends in the area if I have time. I got into a pissing match with one of our city's drivers when she caught me plowing a side street that leads to a large account of mine. I tried to be civil but ended up telling her if she learned how to actually use the equiptment she was driving I wouldn't have to do her job for her. These storms have kicked a lot of plowers arse. The problem is most folks behind the wheel have never dealt with this kind of snow.....heck most of the grunts doing it right now haven't been alive for as long as some of us have been plowing! This is my 25th winter herding a plow! My fist year was the winter of 82 :eek: ....that was a heck of a time to learn how! It has been quite a while since we've had this kind of snow patterns! It's always a kick in the butt for the first couple hours but then it is a job. The biggest downer is the idiots that get in your way!

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
The biggest downer is the idiots that get in your way!

We get in your way???? Not us.............we drive SUV's with 4wheel drive. Never mind that I don't know how to engage it, the Cadillac dealer did not show me. I always look at my rear view monitor when I am driving as to not be rear ended by some plow guy. So I hope you will appolgize for that remark, us SUV owners are very good drivers and the 20" chrome wheels with all weather tires do great in the snow!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
We get in your way???? Not us.............we drive SUV's with 4wheel drive. Never mind that I don't know how to engage it, the Cadillac dealer did not show me. I always look at my rear view monitor when I am driving as to not be rear ended by some plow guy. So I hope you will appolgize for that remark, us SUV owners are very good drivers and the 20" chrome wheels with all weather tires do great in the snow!

Hang up the cell phone and drive.......pizza boy! :rant: :hill:

Hang up the cell phone and drive.......pizza boy! :rant: :hill:

Remember back then Domino's had 30 minute guarantees? Maybe plow trucks should be allowed to scramble cell phone signals so people would know that you were coming?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I thought it would be a good idea to use my then-new 1982 Toy Longbed 5-spd to pull out a semi stuck on ice in front of the office.

I had a snatch-um strap, remember those? Heck, worst that would happen is.... nothing. I'd never heard of birfields, so I hooked up to my cool tow hook in the front, and wrapped the snatch-um to the semi's big aluminum bumper, threw it into reverse, and took off in 4-hi.

My next sight was an aluminum bumper looking like a snow dish, skittering toward my new truck at a high rate of speed.

I floored it, and outran the bumper. The trucker was so amused and laughing so hard he really didn't care.

BTW, I pulled him out!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Denver has had a much better history of snow removal...
1913:
14th:
14thSt_1913.JPG

Colfax:
Colfax_1913.JPG

Early ambitious Cadillac SUV driver:
Stuck_car_1913.JPG

State of the art snow removal equipment:
HorseSnowRemoval_1913.JPG

wesintl

RS Moderator
looks like the caddy has chains on :thumb: