Got some bling for the Runner (sort of)

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I got wheels with the tires when I bought them but they were in pretty sad shape. They were the simple wagon wheels, 15x10 with 3.75 BS not my choice but.............free with the tires.

Found some nice rims on CL a few weeks ago but they wanted to much for them. I called the guy a while back made an offer but was rejected. Saw them again today on CL so I called and repeated my offer, this time he said yes.

They are Pro Comp Rockcrawler Rims with Welded Rock Ring. Brand new never used. 15" X 8" with custom 2.5" backspace, I called all over town trying to find these and everyone had to order them. Once I added up the cost of the rims plus tax I was close to my offer so I did it.

Here are a few shots of them, will try to get them mounted tomorrow or Wednesday. Can't wait to see how they look and how the tires fit in the wheel well. Let me know what you guys think. :thumb:

Attachments

• 01010601010301030520070423b38045921d9bec4c6b003156.jpg
    01010601010301030520070423b38045921d9bec4c6b003156.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 01020301030801030920070423504f266a3391a9a436007bd5.jpg
    01020301030801030920070423504f266a3391a9a436007bd5.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 288
sweet rims

Rockrunner- is it the backspacing that allows a 8" width rim to fit ?

I recently got 16 x 7 replacement (steel) wheels for my '99 and I was nervous about trying to fit a 8" width in there....

:bowdown: I realize your Runner is a first generation....

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Rockrunner- is it the backspacing that allows a 8" width rim to fit ?

I recently got 16 x 7 replacement (steel) wheels for my '99 and I was nervous about trying to fit a 8" width in there....

:bowdown: I realize your Runner is a first generation....

The rim width stays the same with 3.75 bs or 2.5, where the difference comes in is how far the rim sticks out from the axle/body. If you were to have the same size rims, let's say 15x8 with 3.75 bs and 2.5 the 2.5 bs will stick out from the truck by 1.25".

This helps with stability and also with moving the tire away from the frame. So when flexing the axles the tires won't (most of the time) rub the frame. With the 3.75 bs the tire is 1.25" closer to the frame/axle so it could rub.

You could run 16x8's on your 4runner, what it would do is place the tire a little further from the body, depending on your stock bs and the bs on the new rims.

Most people will run a wider rim for several reasons besides looks. Larger tires need a wider rim so that the contact patch of the tire can ride flat instead of a crown like when you over inflate your tires. Reason two is to widen the vehicle, the taller you go the wider you want to go, within reason for stability. Lastly depending on your tire/rim combo you can control the sidewall. A 33-12.5-15 on a 15x8 rim will have a pretty flat sidewall now put that same tire on a 15x6 and your sidewall will bulge out some making it more vulnerable to sidewall punctures.

Sorry if I rehashed items you knew already and for the long :blah: :blah: :blah: hope this makes sense to you.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Nice score.. This 4 runner looks like a fun build. :)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
This helps with stability and also with moving the tire away from the frame.

It does stress the steering more, however, because it causes the front tires to swing in a larger arc. The more you reduce the backspacing (moving your tires away from vehicle center), the harder it is on your other components. It increases the load on bearings, ball joints and steering components.

The effects of small backspace (negative offset): Places the weight of the tire and wheel farther outboard, away from the suspension.
  • Results in increased loads and stresses on wheel bearings, ball joints and control arm bushings.
  • May also cause steering wheel kickback and increased steering effort, making the car harder to control during turning and cornering.
  • Creates a greater scrub radius and increased tire scrub and wear as the steering center is way back behind the wheel centerline.
Most people will run a wider rim for several reasons besides looks. Larger tires need a wider rim so that the contact patch of the tire can ride flat instead of a crown like when you over inflate your tires. Reason two is to widen the vehicle, the taller you go the wider you want to go, within reason for stability.

On the other hand, if you stay narrow, you'll pop fewer beads.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Matt makes some good points, I did consider these facts before I bought them. The 4Runner has been "upgraded" to handle some of these problems a little better. As always it is a trade of as to what you want and need, mine is not a DD so I can afford to do some of the things to it that you wouldn't do if it was a DD.

Matt, not sure about amazing but fun yes!

Wes, it is a fun project now that it drives. I was a nervous wreck untill last week when Bill came over and welded the spring hangers in place. Now that it is driving and I am working on all the other things it has become fun again. can't wait to see it flex all the way. I flexed it some last Sunday and it is pretty impresive compared to my old truck. Getting used to driving it so now the height does not bother me to much but we shall see once we get it on the trail............

thanks for the info. Hulk and RockRunner -the more I learn the more I realize what I don't know-appreciate the straight skinny on wheels and tires. When shopping I am never sure how much info is sales talk and how much is 'fact'.