Getting rotors turned...

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Since getting the front rotors off on an 80 series takes some work (more than I have time for anyway), what do all of you 80s owners do? On the 80 I can tell the rotors have slight warping so might as well get them turned for the new pads...Hopefully they'll still be in spec and I won't be looking at having to get new rotors quite yet.

I have read, that rotors can be turned while still on the vehicle. I always assumed they were taken off, put in a machine, and voila. So assuming I read correctly, do you all just drive in to say a Midas and pay the $$ to have the rotors turned? If you don't like Midas any recommendations for a place in the Littleton area?

TIA

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I've only had it done once and I removed the rotors to do it. Took them to a Pep Boys.. they were warped again in about a year, so they got replaced.

My slotted/drilled ones are now shaking, and I've been having this debate in my head if I should try to find someone to turn them or just replace them with slotted-only rotors. I don't like the holes, they seem to get full of red dirt every May for some reason.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I went to a shop that could do them on the vehicle about 20K miles ago. Just checked them when I did pads a few weeks ago and they are fine. I called around and found brake plus could do it near me. I stood there and watched and talked to the service manager and explained anything other than turning I would do myself and if the couldn't be turned to let me know I would replace them.

If your going to take them off, might as well replace them.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
II called around and found brake plus could do it near me.

If your going to take them off, might as well replace them.

Thanks guys...I'm wishing I had just replaced them when we (Ben) did the front axle service. Problem with being new to the 80s is that you're not sure what makes sense to just go ahead and do at the time you do something else so I didn't have any parts to do the work then and there :eek:

I'll give Brakes Plus a call...Midas near me doesn't have the machine but the Toy Doctor does. They want $120 to turn the rotors, $200 to do the rotors and pads at the same time. I kind of screwed myself though...

I should have replaced the pads 2 weeks ago and just couldn't find the time...Wife tells me yesterday the brakes are now making a grinding noise. CRAP...Checked and the DS rotor looks/feels fine but on the PS rotor you can feel the scoring from metal on metal contact. Double CRAP! Now it is parked in the garage, she has the LX and I'm driving the 40. Thank God she didn't drive the 80 to Steamboat last week for the wedding we attended :eek:

So now, it will be a question of whether the rotor can be shaved enough to work and still be in spec. If not, looks like I'll be replacing rotors and turning a simple job into a PITA job :mad:. Really wish now I would have gotten in on the Marlin $25 rotors.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Take you 30 minutes to do the pads your self. I think I paid $80 to have the rotors turned. If you haven't done it, come over Sunday late morning and I'll help you.

Or you could swap Rotors and pads in about 2-3 hours. It's pretty easy and not as messy as going after the birf as you don't have to take off the spindle

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the offer Ken :thumb: - Problem is I'm not driving it anywhere till I get the pads on 'cuz I don't want to do anymore damage to the rotor. Trashing a pad will be much cheaper if the rotor scars the pad up on the way to get the rotors turned. I plan to do the pads this weekend and then take the Cruiser in Monday to wherever to get the rotors turned, and HOPE that they can be turned enough to not need to be replaced. If they need to be replaced, then a call to CDan for new rotors, 100 series pads, and go from there. :( - On a bright note that means no choice but to drive the 40 for awhile :)

I think the only thing that "scares" me about anything to do with the axle is the whole preload setting. Ben made it look soooo easy but he makes everything easy. I'm sure once I actually do it myself it will be "oh, no biggie".

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah I wish I could have gotten in on the $25 rotors too! :mad:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Yeah I wish I could have gotten in on the $25 rotors too! :mad:

I hear you. Not sure if you saw my post on MUD but after ordering 4 sets and getting nothing, and having to email them about 4 times I finally go my $$ refunded, less a penny :confused:. So after all that I got no rotors, paid whatever interest charges the charge accrued on my CC for a few weeks, and got to pay a penny to boot :rolleyes:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I think I paid $80 to have the rotors turned.

Just in case anyone else is wondering, just called Brakes Plus over on County Line & Quebec, spoke with Trevor, and for $32.50 they'll turn the front rotors on the vehicle :thumb:. No plans, yet, to do the rears as they still look ok (pads and rotors). Have to call around as not all shops have the ability to turn the rotors on the vehicle.

Thanks again for the suggestion Ken - Brakes Plus $32.50, Toy Doctor $120...You just saved me about the cost of a new rotor - I owe you a :beer:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
You sure its just not a squeeling noise? That would make sense if they are worn down and you can drive them for a bit. I did for a while (a few days) before I changed them and it did not hurt the rotor.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
You sure its just not a squeeling noise? That would make sense if they are worn down and you can drive them for a bit. I did for a while (a few days) before I changed them and it did not hurt the rotor.

I wish...they were squealing last week but I couldn't get to it as we left for Steamboat for the wedding...This week, grinding noise. I was hoping it was just a more "serious" wear indicator/reminder - I guess that is like hoping when the oil light comes on it should get brighter as the oil gets lower huh? :eek: - Should have bit the bullet and just gotten it done Sunday night when we got back or Monday morning. Pushed it too far :rant:

When the wife called me and told me yesterday she could hear grinding I just told her to do what she could to lay off the brakes as much as possible (use gears, etc). Well, I have no idea how much driving she did yesterday but honestly looking at the rotor has me worried. You can definitely see/feel the scoring. Who knows, maybe I have a sticky caliper on top of everything.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Figured I'd post up some pics of the carnage...Not pretty :eek:

Now the trick will be to get the 80 over to Brakes Plus to get the rotors turned (hopefully staying in spec) without chewing up my brand new pads :eek: - Liberal use of gearing and possibly some gentle e-brake use to boot.

All in all the pad replacement went well for my first time...

First pics are of the PS rotor with later ones of the DS...Shouldn't be hard to spot which side was rubbing metal to metal :rant:

Attachments

• 100_5488 (Medium).jpg
    100_5488 (Medium).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_5489 (Medium).jpg
    100_5489 (Medium).jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_5490 (Medium).jpg
    100_5490 (Medium).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 100_5491 (Medium).jpg
    100_5491 (Medium).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 100_5493 (Medium).jpg
    100_5493 (Medium).jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 130

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Couple shots of the old (aftermarket apparently) pads from the PS vs. the new OEM ones from CDAN.

BTW, the OEM pads appeared to be marked with a L or a R which I assumed denoted L=Left and R=Right. Now, for those that have done this before does that refer to Left/Right side of the caliper or Left/Right side of the vehicle and is that as you look at the vehicle or as you are sitting in the vehicle?

I won't tell you how I did it just in case I f'd that up too :mad: - I just put them in how it made sense to me but could easily swap it if I did it wrong. I based the way I put them in on where the wear indicator strip would sit.

Attachments

• 100_5494 (Medium).jpg
    100_5494 (Medium).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 894
  • 100_5496 (Medium).jpg
    100_5496 (Medium).jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 147

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Wow, that's impressive.

As for L or R, IMO if you got them in and the little sheet metal things all seemed to fit ok then you probably did it right.

And I had some squeaking on my RR, yesterday took the caliper off, cleaned the pads with brake cleaner, then swapped them inside/outside. Slapped it back together and no squeaks.. 70 miles and counting.

edit: ps, did you paint your drive flange and dust cover? :eek: :Princess:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
edit: ps, did you paint your drive flange and dust cover? :eek: :Princess:

Nope, just still reasonably clean from the front axle service done in May with Ben. He did the real work, I did the cleaning :D