General License

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I know some of you have gone on and gotten your General license. My observations are that we mostly used 2m and most people trucks have the 2m and sometimes 2m/70cm.

I believe my Tech level covers all the bands offered by my 7800 and Vx-7r radios.

Just looking over the difference in levels, I'm not seeing any benefit in getting a General. Other than of course to say I have it :D

I am sure I am missing something and looking for some enlightenment from some of the truly geeky members of our club.:bowdown: I mean geeky as a sincere compliment here.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I know some of you have gone on and gotten your General license. My observations are that we mostly used 2m and most people trucks have the 2m and sometimes 2m/70cm.

I believe my Tech level covers all the bands offered by my 7800 and Vx-7r radios.

Just looking over the difference in levels, I'm not seeing any benefit in getting a General. Other than of course to say I have it :D

I am sure I am missing something and looking for some enlightenment from some of the truly geeky members of our club.:bowdown: I mean geeky as a sincere compliment here.

My reasoning was for the same reason I have Ham at all. In case of emergency or need, I can operate on most any usable channel. I have been lightly studying and to tell you the truth I'm getting my doubts if I really want to know this stuff required for the General.....just not into it now. I have what I was after....so I might just chill and focus more on procedure and working the buttons.

Edited:

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I got it just because I always wanted to do the whole "short wave" setup as a kid and talk to people cross country and farther. Plus, I was kind of in the testing mode; I did one shortly after the other (a few months apart).

I haven't used any of my new privileges and I don't have the equipment, but someday I'll get around to it.

For what we are using it for on the trail, I don't think it's really necessary.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys. I "rag chewed" with Dave today and came up with the same answer.

Your right Kevin, lots of buttons and procedures and I wasn't really getting anywhere with that. Thats why I decided on the handheld so I could at least get profecient on what I am licensed for.:beer: