• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

General License

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I know some of you have gone on and gotten your General license. My observations are that we mostly used 2m and most people trucks have the 2m and sometimes 2m/70cm.

I believe my Tech level covers all the bands offered by my 7800 and Vx-7r radios.

Just looking over the difference in levels, I'm not seeing any benefit in getting a General. Other than of course to say I have it :D

I am sure I am missing something and looking for some enlightenment from some of the truly geeky members of our club.:bowdown: I mean geeky as a sincere compliment here.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I know some of you have gone on and gotten your General license. My observations are that we mostly used 2m and most people trucks have the 2m and sometimes 2m/70cm.

I believe my Tech level covers all the bands offered by my 7800 and Vx-7r radios.

Just looking over the difference in levels, I'm not seeing any benefit in getting a General. Other than of course to say I have it :D

I am sure I am missing something and looking for some enlightenment from some of the truly geeky members of our club.:bowdown: I mean geeky as a sincere compliment here.

My reasoning was for the same reason I have Ham at all. In case of emergency or need, I can operate on most any usable channel. I have been lightly studying and to tell you the truth I'm getting my doubts if I really want to know this stuff required for the General.....just not into it now. I have what I was after....so I might just chill and focus more on procedure and working the buttons.

Edited:

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I got it just because I always wanted to do the whole "short wave" setup as a kid and talk to people cross country and farther. Plus, I was kind of in the testing mode; I did one shortly after the other (a few months apart).

I haven't used any of my new privileges and I don't have the equipment, but someday I'll get around to it.

For what we are using it for on the trail, I don't think it's really necessary.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys. I "rag chewed" with Dave today and came up with the same answer.

Your right Kevin, lots of buttons and procedures and I wasn't really getting anywhere with that. Thats why I decided on the handheld so I could at least get profecient on what I am licensed for.:beer: