Gen 4 4Runner Sticking Hatch Window

N8R

Rising Sun Member
Our other nephew has a Gen4 4runner and the hatch window is sticking and won't go up without some manual encouragement. Does anyone have experience with this problem? Is it likely the motor or a gummed up regulator. I think regulator is what they call the cable and arm thingy that moves the window up and down.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
No expirience with the 4th gen, but my 2nd gen had this issue. I spent an afternoon taking the motor out and cleaning it thoroughly as well as the tracks for the window. Re-lubbed all the good spots and was running the motor with it out to see if it was slow. It wasn't. I used a food grade silicone on the rubber where the glass slid and sealed that seemed to make the most difference.

N8R

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for the input. I'll let you know what we find out later this week.

ry303

Wincher
My 4th Gen hatch window gets slow sometimes too. Like On the RX said, a good cleaning and then lubricating the track works wonders. I like this stuff
It could be the regulator but I would try cleaning first.

N8R

Rising Sun Member
Sounds good. Start with clean and lubricate and see where we go from there. Just a couple of questions as we splash our way across the SE this week.
1) It looks like we'll need to remove the track/actuator to get enough access to clean and lube. There are plenty of youtubes on this.
2) Do you use some solvent to clean the existing grease off the actuator?

ry303

Wincher
I guess I mis-read On the Rx's description. I have always had luck just cleaning the guides on the window that are visible and accessible with the window all the way down, and then spraying that silicone stuff on the guides. The window moves so much better after that. I have not had to remove the back hatch panel to clean/lube the regulator etc.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I started with the hard stuff first because why change a 50 cent fuse when you can swap out an erg valve for $300?! It also had 300k on it and was 20 years old. Probably needed it.
Now that I'm older and have kind of learned from past experience, start with the simple stuff and work your way to the harder stuff until the desired result is achieved.

N8R

Rising Sun Member
Gang, Thanks for the feedback. Cleaning and lubing the rubber gasket around the window did the trick. I wasn't with the rig when I started the thread so I didn't even take time to think through how it all went together. Anyway it was good to have one thing this week take less time than anticipated!