Fuel Neck Restrictor

78FJ40

Moved here from Kansas City recently and am trying to get my FJ40 licensed here in Colorado. I need to find a restrictor for the fuel neck on my Cruiser. Any suggestions?

Beater

Hard Core 4+
interesting. I thought that as long as the filler neck is orignal to the vehicle, as factory delivered, it would be legal here in colorado

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
My 80's fuel neck is from OZ(dual filler from a diesel, no restrictor) and has not been rejected over the last fews of emissions testing. The main thing I have seen them looking for is if the cap will pass the vaccum test(if one exists for your year). In the past I usually have found them at either napa or carquest. May need to order one, if you really need it. later robbie

wesintl

RS Moderator
Have you actually been rejected or did someone tell you this was needed?

x2.. I've never had them check for a restrictor not to mention it's not a factory item. All they ever do is test the fuel cap for pressure like robbie says.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
napa, checker etc used to sell little ones that you pund into place

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Mine passed without it. They didn't even notice mine is desmogged with no air pump, cat, etc. I don't think the kid doing the test had ever seen a carburated engine. :D

As long as it passes the sniffer, you should be good to go. And get collector plates after you pass so you don't have to go back. :)

78FJ40

Thanks for the help guys. I hope to actually make it to the February meeting so I can join the club.

This whole licensing deal has been an ordeal from the start. My FJ40 has a brand new Chevy V8 with Fuel Injection from an 89 Chevy Pickup. For starters when I took my rig to the Castle Rock testing location they immediately gave me the name and number of a guy in Aurora that I needed to contact to get the instructions that would tell them how to even test the vehicle because of the engine swap. Well I made the drive up to Aurora yesterday afternoon to let the guy look at it. He filled out the paper work and one of the things that he put in the instructions is that I needed a fuel neck restrictor. He also suggested that I get Antique or Collector plates so I can avoid all this in the future. So because it is in the instructions that is why I have to get one. Totally stupid because you can even buy leaded gasoline at a filling station anymore. :rant: You'd have to goto an airport to buy it and why would I want to pay $5 or more per gallon of gas? I also had to get a CAT installed on the exhaust.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
...I took my rig to the Castle Rock testing location they immediately gave me the name and number of a guy in Aurora that I needed to contact to get the instructions that would tell them how to even test the vehicle...

I would try going to a different testing location. :hill:

Beater

Hard Core 4+
ok, that's your problem... it's not stock. Colorado law reads (roughly) that they can't fail you if your vehicle was sold that way originally. If it's a chevota without collectors plates, your in for a rough time.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the help guys. I hope to actually make it to the February meeting so I can join the club.

This whole licensing deal has been an ordeal from the start. My FJ40 has a brand new Chevy V8 with Fuel Injection from an 89 Chevy Pickup. For starters when I took my rig to the Castle Rock testing location they immediately gave me the name and number of a guy in Aurora that I needed to contact to get the instructions that would tell them how to even test the vehicle because of the engine swap. Well I made the drive up to Aurora yesterday afternoon to let the guy look at it. He filled out the paper work and one of the things that he put in the instructions is that I needed a fuel neck restrictor. He also suggested that I get Antique or Collector plates so I can avoid all this in the future. So because it is in the instructions that is why I have to get one. Totally stupid because you can even buy leaded gasoline at a filling station anymore. :rant: You'd have to goto an airport to buy it and why would I want to pay $5 or more per gallon of gas? I also had to get a CAT installed on the exhaust.

Ahhhh....the puzzle piece has been found! You are correct in the fact that now the referee specified the filler neck, you will have to comply. Sounds like you got away cheap compared to what he could have demanded! When I first had the referee check out my V8J-62 after the transplant he nailed me for the factory heat riser I had removed from the stock air cleaner so the snorkle would be sealed. What a jerk as most folks throw open element air cleaners on when they do conversions and here is a sano install with a functioning and sealed air filter setup. I think they must have to find something wrong with each application. :rolleyes: I would do the cheap insert Ige mentioned and be done with it.

78FJ40

Well I found the restrictor that I was needing. JK Automotive in Englewood is apparently the only one in the whole state of Colorado that has these little gems. They look like a throwing star with a hole in it and are made of spring steel. You basically insert it into the Filler Neck through the Gas Cap Opening and then wedge it into place. The spring steel drives the points of the restrictor into the Filler Neck. With this in place I will be heading down to the Castle Rock inspection station in the morning. Hopefully I will meet up with success.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Well I found the restrictor that I was needing. JK Automotive in Englewood is apparently the only one in the whole state of Colorado that has these little gems. They look like a throwing star with a hole in it and are made of spring steel. You basically insert it into the Filler Neck through the Gas Cap Opening and then wedge it into place. The spring steel drives the points of the restrictor into the Filler Neck. With this in place I will be heading down to the Castle Rock inspection station in the morning. Hopefully I will meet up with success.

:thumb: Good luck! :cool:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
He filled out the paper work and one of the things that he put in the instructions is that I needed a fuel neck restrictor. <snip> I also had to get a CAT installed on the exhaust.
That's too bad. An original 1978 with the factory 2F does not need a restrictor or a cat, they weren't required until 1979. Glad you got passed though, congrats!

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
>That's too bad. An original 1978 with the factory 2F does not need a >restrictor or a cat, they weren't required until 1979. Glad you got passed >though, congrats!

I was told otherwise, and it was checked every year on the e-test of my 6/78 FJ40 - no cats, but restrictors are required and checked. The little book of 'what's supposed to be on your truck' showed restrictors. The PO even replaced the filler neck with a new one (to get a restrictor) and hammered one of those 'replacement restrictors' into the neck of the ConFerr tank.

Now that the Dems have taken over Colorado politics, I wouldn't ditch all your emission stuff just yet (those of us in El Paso and a few other counties). I'm sure some liberal will find an excuse (other than clean air) to reinstate the e-tests around here - job security for mom-and-pop repair shops, for instance.

Steve