Found a 40th Edition 80

CBone

Hard Core 4+
So I pulled up at Stevinson Toyota to get a few parts for my 4Runner and sitting right there in the parking lot was a 40th Edition 80 without license plates. I inquired and they said it just came in on trade-in. The truck has 128000 miles on it, rides really nice and seems in good shape. The dealer hadn't even had a chance to clean it up, so I got a really good look at the engine and underside. Can anyone provide some pointers on things I should be looking over, do you recommend running it over to Slee to have them take a look at it?

One more thing, I do think it was used to pull a trailer quite a bit. The side view mirrors have little mirrors to see further back and the hitch was well used. Can this cause some problems for the tranny--it did shift through all the gears fine when I test drove it. Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Hants

Rising Sun Member
A few thoughts:

- There are quite a few members that live/work very close to Stevinson; I'm sure someone would be willing to meet you there and take a look.

- Check out the FAQ in the 80's forum on IH8MUD, there are notes on pre-purchase inspections & common issues.

- Slee's Newbie guide has great tips: http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

- Slee has tons of experience with 80's, and I'm sure you could have them do a pre-purchase inspection.

- Post up pictures -- you'll get lots of feedback

I'm guessing it will need front axle seals.

I would not worry about the possibility of it being used to tow and tranny problems. This isn't a GM tranny your looking at.

CBone

Hard Core 4+
Lockers?

Forgive my ignorance Matt, how would I know if it had lockers. I did see the differential dial on the left side of the steering wheel. Additionally, next to the automatic gear shifter, there were two little buttons, one said PWR, the other said something else. Not sure what those were.

So, I went to the Slee site and checked out the section on what to look for. The LC at Stevinson has a 40th anniversary emblem on the driver's side, but did not have the characteristics Slee mentions for 40th Anniversary editions?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
If it has the Diff Lock switch, you should have the Toyota lockers. That puts it in the "yes" category for me.

Switch looks like this:
locker.jpg

The power switch changes the shift points, so you can burn even more fuel. :D

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Forgive my ignorance Matt, how would I know if it had lockers. I did see the differential dial on the left side of the steering wheel. Additionally, next to the automatic gear shifter, there were two little buttons, one said PWR, the other said something else. Not sure what those were.

So, I went to the Slee site and checked out the section on what to look for. The LC at Stevinson has a 40th anniversary emblem on the driver's side, but did not have the characteristics Slee mentions for 40th Anniversary editions?

Matt addressed the lockers and the "PWR" button. The other button is "2ND" (IIRC) and pushing it tells the transmission to start out in 2nd gear to lessen slip in snow etc when accelerating from a stop.

On the lockers it would be a good idea to verify they actually work. Find some dirt, gravel, etc. Come to a stop, transmission in neutral, put the center diff in "Low", verify the ABS light lights up (indicating ABS is deactivated), then push in and rotate the knob to the right 1 position. The rear diff lock icon on the dash should start blinking. Drive forward slowly and once the rear axle is locked the light should stop blinking and stay on. Repeat for the front locker (rear will still be engaged). Or you can just test both at the same time by turning the magic dial two positions.

If the lockers don't engage (ie light just keeps blinking) then you can try slow slow tight turns, figure 8's, etc. to see if that will get them to lock. If the lockers haven't been 'exercised' for some time then they may take awhile to engage.

Since this is at Stevenson if the lockers don't lock they would be items that you'd want fixed if you were to buy the 80. The lockers may just need to be cleaned but if the actuator is kaput that can be a real expensive fixed...In the $800 per axle range IIRC

As for the 40th AE characteristics. A true 40th should have emblems on the side, a plaque next to the center diff selector (tcase) with a #on it, be either dark green or the light antique sage, two tone interior (tan seats with dark brownish sides), and the two tone wheels/rims like you see on LX450s. What characteristics did you not see/notice?

To get an idea of what the dealer paid for trade in value look at the NADA trade in value and figure somewhere less than that. Or take the asking price and knock 25% off and you are probably close :)

HTH

CBone

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Jeff and Matt for all your feedback. Yes, I guess it does have lockers--as it does have the dial--SWEET! Jeff, I did run through all those things you mentioned when test driving it, and everything did engage, both the RR locker and the FR--RR as well.

The color of the truck is nearly identical to my 4Runner, i.e. dessert dune, a light tan color. The seats are blueish in color, definitely not two tone. Additionally, the only 40th Anniversary emblem I saw was on the outside. The dash area is a carbon fiber type looking deal.

I found a repair order in the glove box with the previous owners name on it. It didn't have their phone number but I am tempted to try and locate them, and ask them questions.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Carlton,

Are you sure it is an Anniversary Edition as opposed to a Collector's Edition?

Either the 80 has been repainted or it isn't an AE if it isn't dark green or sage, but it could be a Collector's Edition...

Check out the TLCA POW --> http://tlca.org/pow/

You see both Uncle Ben's 80 in the antique sage AE color and of course lower your 4Runner. Maybe the PO found the 40th AE emblems and had them put on (there was an 80 on MUD for sale that this was the case) although from what I hear they have not been available from Toyota for some time now.

As for the carbon fiber...Probably a PO 'mod' as there were different colors of 'wood' looking trim available and of course no trim but I don't recall carbon fiber being a choice. Plenty of aftermarket dash trim kits available out there though.

As for the seats...If they are leather (which I assume they are) I believe the only choices in later year 80s were grey interior/leather or tan interior/leather. You probably have the grey interior or your seats have been recovered?

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Who are the three amigos test driving it right now? :)