For Sale: 1973 FJ40 Selling my baby.....

Pete73

Tough decision, but I'm selling my 73 FJ40.
All the work is done. Guys this one is ready for CO mtns, Moab, whereever...
I know the rules say I'm suppose to post a $. Honestly, I'm not sure anymore with prices seemingly all over the boards. Take a look at the pic. I have over $28K into this machine. Of course I know I'm not getting that.
Experts, tell me (after looking at the list below and the pic, what a fair price might be.)

Here's the list of goodies. A good deal of the work was professionally done by my personal friend and the owner of Boulder Off-Road.

Simply Amazing - 1973 FJ40 Toyota Landcruiser- not just for looks, this FJ is trail ready!

Engine Compartment:
350 Chevy (’79 engine rebuilt 2001) 15,000 since Conversion
Flush mount Headers
Rebuilt Carb
Flowmaster Exhaust
Optima Battery
New Brake Master Cylinder-Specter Off-Road
New Radiator

Drivetrain:
Front axle: FJ55
Rear axle: Original FJ40
Lock Right Lockers (Front & Rear)
Newer U-joints
GM SM420 4spd. Transmission
Advanced Adapters kit between Trans and Transfer case
New seals and gaskets (Trans/Transfer)
4-wheel Disc Brakes
Power steering
35” x 12.50 x 15 BFG MT’s

Body:
Exterior
Custom red paint (new 2006)
Rust Free Original Tub and body
Interior & Fender wells Rhino Lined
Custom Fenders, etc. for tire clearance
Custom Rock sliders & rocker panel guards
4” Lift
Neoprene Body Mounts
Complete new windshield catch, hood, and vent moldings from Specter Off-Road
Rancho 9000 shocks
Aluminum Tailgate w/lockable internal toolbox
Front Leaf spring shackle reversal (makes drive on highway nice)
New "Specialty Top" Soft top w/dark tint (zip out side and rear windows w/cases) makes for nice semi-bikini top
New "Specialty Top" Soft doors (paddle latches, split door w/dark tint)
New Hella Lights
Custom Tire carrier w/two jerry can mounts, jack, shovel, and axe mounts
New mirrors
Interior
Custom Brushed Aluminum Dash w/ Auto Meter Gauges
Custom 6-point Rollcage
Bucket seats w/4-point Harnesses (mounted to cage)
Bestop fold and go rear seat w/ lap belts
BTB Products heater w/defrost
Painless Wiring w/custom fuse breakout boxes (completely new entire vehicle wiring harness)
CB
Dome light
Sony Stereo w/CD and Sony Amp (mounted in Tuffy Lock boxes)
Tuffy lock boxes w/speakers
Tuffy lockable center console box w/cup holders and arm pad
Leather wrapped steering (w/original Toyota wheel)

Extras
Custom ½ hard doors just need to be finished
Hardware and many addition parts
Tow bar included (mounts already attached in front)

Pete

Attachments

• DSC06622 (2).JPG
    DSC06622 (2).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 734
  • DSC06640.JPG
    DSC06640.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Welcome to the board! It would be helpful to have a little more background info since this is your first post...who are you, how did you find out about Rising Sun, history of you/your truck, why are you selling and...PICS! :) Sounds like a nice ride - what kind of power steering is it? I'm guessing Saginaw?

Pete73

I originally started with Rising Sun years ago and dropped off due to heavy work and travel commitments. I got this 73 cruiser in early 2000's and built it up to where it's at today. As a matter of fact I read an article that our now Treasurer Matt Farr wrote in the TLCA mag about Specialty Tops a few years back. I ended up writing to Matt, met him and decided that that top was the right one for this 73 as well. (great to meet Matt back then, super helpful and a good fellow Cruiser head.)
Since then,,,I've had two kids join the household....hasn't been a lot of time for wheelin' . Bigger house is needed.....well you get the picture.... My 73 is truly my baby. I love that truck, but I also have responsibilities... I've told my wife that I get to have pictures of it forever in the house, as this Cruiser has been my favorite rig ever. Go check out the pics, I've got them loaded now. Any advice is appreciated.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Looks very nice! No windshield wipers? I hope you can get a good price for it...hard to let something so nice go, you know you'll always regret it...

jacdaw

Hard Core 4+
Looks very nice! No windshield wipers?<snip>
I noticed that too. ;) I love how the passenger mirror reflects in the paint. I'd be afraid to put the first scratch or ding in it.:eek: Beautiful rig.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
That is a piece of art for Yota eyes! Would be super sweet if it still ran a 2F, but I totally understand the reasons that SBC are common swaps. Good luck with the sale, there have been a few trucks that if only I had the money... :-/

Pete73

Honestly, I'd like to recoup $25K ,,,,am I off my rocker?

(this thing is an amazing rig, with a LOT of functional capability, not just a head turner.) It did Prichett Canyon in Moab... Some may ask,,,why the '79 350, and not an injected.... I built this for me, so I could work on it with ease. Lots of room under the hood without hoses and wires everywhere. Simple. and trail repair friendly,,,,that's the way I like it. Good philosophy or not, that's how we built it. Hope that helps explain some of my rational for what's put into the entire rig.

I'll see about posting some more pics tonight. (think the outside looks good?,,,you should see the inside)

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Honestly, I'd like to recoup $25K ,,,,am I off my rocker?
I dunno. Just in the past week or two have come across a diesel (Cummins) FJ40 for $8K out there, an all original, just about completely unmolested 1963 FJ45 SWB w/ 75K miles out there for $11.5K, a restored 1959 FJ25 for $14K (down from $27K I think originally)...

subzali

Hard Core 4+
a lot of that is because of the hard economy right now...

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
a lot of that is because of the hard economy right now...
Whatever the reason, prices are what the valuation the market is placing on the thingie. What it's worth is just what someone is willing to pay for it and apparently a cool 1959 FJ25 is worth to potential buyers like 1/4 of what the fella spent to restore it.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Yeah I'm just saying it seems like we're in a lull right now. If he can hang on to it for a while longer he might be able to get more out of it when the economy upturns again...maybe. :dunno:

cbmontgo

Hard Core 4+
Yeah I'm just saying it seems like we're in a lull right now. If he can hang on to it for a while longer he might be able to get more out of it when the economy upturns again...maybe. :dunno:

I agree. Now is a TERRIBLE time to sell anything unless you absolutley have to.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I agree. Now is a TERRIBLE time to sell anything unless you absolutley have to.
I think you also have to weigh that it's possible that values for some things may take a long time or may never recover. I think that people are realizing that zero saving and unchecked consumption of non-durable, non-essential stuff is not the way to build a strong economy. So I wonder how quickly discretionary items will increase in value and so a seller might have to weigh if you can get a 30% reduction in value now and take the cash or wait to see if it becomes valuable again or possible lose more value when compared to things that /are/ still increasing in value. Pricing assets for present value against future value in this current economy certainly takes someone with a very good crystal ball, particularly when inflation could be very ugly and real deflation is not out of realm of possibilities.

Pete73

Here's a pic from 2006, when I first got it back after painting. Compare that to today's pics and you should be able to tell I take care of my stuff. (yes, it does fit into the garage.) It's garaged all the time, it only see's the light when I have it out.

Attachments

• 091706 035.jpg
    091706 035.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 156

teamextreme

It really is a bad time to try to sell. Four or five years ago you probably could have gotten 12k to 14k maybe? Now, I'd guess you might be lucky to get somewhere in the 8 to 10k range. Just my amatuer guess, but like others have said it's worth what you can get someone to pay.

On second thought, I doubt you can get more than 2 or 3k. Now you'll have to explain to wife that it just doesn't make sense to get rid of. "Unfortuneately, I guess we'll have to keep it honey". Just trying to help a brother out :)