Flying with cameras

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I haven't flown in probably a year and a half, maybe 2 now. But I understand the TSA is being snotty about carry on luggage and so you end up checking a lot of things. Maybe even expensive stuff like a camera or computer. Read about this way to make things a lot more secure, pack it with a weapon. Don't want to carry a real gun, well the TSA classifies a starter pistol as a weapon and if you pack one with your camera the TSA requires that the luggage be tracked and and not only lets you lock it, but it is required to be locked the whole way.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/09/expensive_camer.html

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I haven't flown in probably a year and a half, maybe 2 now. But I understand the TSA is being snotty about carry on luggage and so you end up checking a lot of things. Maybe even expensive stuff like a camera or computer. Read about this way to make things a lot more secure, pack it with a weapon. Don't want to carry a real gun, well the TSA classifies a starter pistol as a weapon and if you pack one with your camera the TSA requires that the luggage be tracked and and not only lets you lock it, but it is required to be locked the whole way.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/09/expensive_camer.html

I carry on lots of stuff. throwing a weapon in checked luggage to make it more secure seems a bit ridiculous.

The regulations we have to follow are not bad.. "What? I can't carry a full bottle of shampoo anymore?!? No way!!" (that was from Colbert th eother night.. made me laugh).

you could kill a person with a starter pistol pretty easily.

Jeff can probably comment about the inconveniences of flying a bit better.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I know Marco was talking about the other Jeff commenting but...

I haven't flown since the "Christmas bomber" idiot but we took a trip at Thanksgiving to Florida...

IMO at time things were the same...Shoes off, laptop, DVD players, etc. in their own bin. No problem with the camera or anything else although it is only a point and shoot Sony (no pun intended :)). Is it the TSA or the airlines that are getting more strict on carry on luggage? Typical rule is one carry on + purse or briefcase or laptop bag. What is ridiculous are the people that try to carry on way too much stuff (like enough stuff for a 2 week vacation) because they don't want to check a bag.

Our typical routine is a smallish carryone with the DVD players, movies, camera, etc. in it and then my laptop, the kid's carry on bags with games and toys etc. Hmmm...pretty ridiculous as well I guess :hill:

What I have heard that changed most is what you can, and cannot do now in the last hour of the flight. No more pee breaks, no more movie watching, no more computers, nothing in your lap (pillow, bag, blanket), no more getting into the overhead bins, etc. I wonder at what point will people finally get fed up with the hassle of flying and choose other alternatives if possible?

Personally I'm tired of the terror$hits dictating our response instead of the other way around...

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I've always thought that I would like to get my pilot's license to avoid all the TSA stuff. Why take the bus when you can drive your own Land Cruiser and get there in style?

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
Pelican or Hardigg Storm Cases

I have a carry-on approved Hardigg Storm Case (just like a Pelican, as a matter of fact, Pelican just purchased Hardigg). It's got wheels, a telescoping handle, crush/dust/pressure/waterproof and lockable. it's the iM2500.

As long as they don't reduce the size of carry-ons it's pretty nice. I've been just using a combo laptop & camera bag to bring it on the plane.

I think the tricky part is choosing which gear you want to bring, that is, if you have alot of choices. I pack my tripod or monopod in my checked bag, and the expensive stuff gets carried on.

the restrictions (for the most part) I think are ridiculous...I mean, a buddy of mine from High school (ex-marine now) that could kill someone with a metal ball-point pen and man! what about the old-school fountain pens! those suckers are SHARP! the pen can be mightier than the sword.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
You are allowed one carry on bag and one personal item, like a purse. :D I travel every week. Things really didn't change in the US after the Christmas incident. You should be fine with your camera bag as long as you don't have big bottles of liquid. Now, coming in to the US from outside the country is more difficult. There is a specific list of what you can and can't carry on and there is extensive and secondary screening. I returned from Toronto a couple of weeks ago and it took a really long time. In the end I was able to bring my laptop bag with some items moved to my check in bag, and CPAP machine. I had to check my roller bag.

Here is the TSA website. HTH.