• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

flyfishing with the rising sun?

Beater

Hard Core 4+
Ideally, this would involve a really cool trail, but I am not really aware of any wheeling with decent fishing.

However, I am aware of some really good fishing spots, in fact, you can fish the stream on the way up to jenny creek.

I would prefer to have the emphasis on stream/river fishing rather than a lake trip. Maybe a trip down to eleven mile for an overnight? I would be happy to assist with some lessons for those that are willing. I am no orvis guide or anything like that, but I can catch fish.

An alternative could be a hike in, fish, hike out, as I know of a few of those spots as well.

Let's fire it up!

j

theboomboom

Trail Ready
I'm down 100%, so is my old man. Jenny creek sounds interesting, a wheeling/fishing combo would make for a helluva day. Let's get something put together!

arthog

Hard Core 4+
I would be interested in that. don't have any equipment, but I would like to give it a try. I see some of the cheep kits at some of the sporting good stores would they be a waste of $ for a virgin?

Beater

Hard Core 4+
I would be interested in that. don't have any equipment, but I would like to give it a try. I see some of the cheep kits at some of the sporting good stores would they be a waste of $ for a virgin?

no, you don't need a 400 rod/reel combo to have fun and catch fish. You can get a 50.00 walmart/kmart combo, but the real money will be in the fly's.

you will need about 20 or so to get started.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
i'd be up for whatever. camping, hiking, wheeling, anything to fish. just lemme know.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I'm itching to get my fly rod out again and do some fishing! What about Wheeler Lake (I know you said rivers preferred...)?

I'm in. Assuming I'm in town, I'm also itching to get a wheelin and camping trip in. I would do a lake trip as well, but river/stream is good with me too.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I would love to do this; infact this has been "on the list" for a long time.:thumb:

Beater

Hard Core 4+
The problem is finding stream/wheeling combo. The closest to hitting on all cylinders is Jenny creek. Boulder creek is fishable from rollinsville to the "new" tunnel, then we can camp up on Jenny Creek. We won't find any keepers for dinner (not that I do that much anyway) but yankee doodle lake is stocked up at the top.

for pure fishing, you can't beat the poudre or eleven mile canyon, but there is no "wheeling" close by

North supply creek has fish in it, but is REAL tough to fish.

Tarryall creek is a fun hike in from what I am told, but I've never done it.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Check with Angler's Covey in the Springs. Talk to Dave. Very old and good friend of mine. Knows all the spots - including those near 4x4 routes.

theboomboom

Trail Ready
eleven mile is a great fishing spot, and cheeseman canyon would make for a decent hiking/fishing trip.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I would love to get into fishing/fly fishing again. After my surgery my doctor has classified me as an invalid, fricking idiot! Once I am healed some more I plan on taking up some fly fishing right by the house. I drive over Waterton (canyon) everyday and plan on taking advantage of that once again.

As for wheeling and fishing, what about the river area between Sante Fe and 285, up a ways. I can't remember the the name of it but we used to hang out there all the time during the weekends after school. I will come up with a name in a few a and list it.

john, I can cast and find fish but can not figure out for the live of me what fly to use. Maybe a "class" before we head up would be a good idea. As a matter of fact I am going to buy a new outfit this week so I have something to look forward pushing my recovery.....................it sucks!!!!!!!!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
John, I just went out and bought a new fly fishing outfit. It gives me something to look forward to while I recover. I hope to be able to get some time in in about 6 weeks or so. I should be able to stand on the shore line and land a fly somewhere near a fish or two.

If you plan a trip please let me know I may be able to join you guys if somebody can give me a ride. I don't think I should be wheeling myself right now:(..................wow that sounded responsible and grown up..:eek:..............something definitely wrong. I think the surgeon rewired me :rolleyes:

Beater

Hard Core 4+
no, he didn't rewire you, you he just gave you a big dose of reality...

j

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Sounds like a great idea. What date do you have in mind?

Beater

Hard Core 4+
well unless we are talking about tailwater, it's still a little high. I am going to go to bear creek this weekend (outside of idledale/morrison) this weekend.

I am going to check with red_chilli's buddy and see where he knows for driving trails. How's this? I had no idea that the hackett area got so close to the platte.. WHO KNEW?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/recreation/fishing/streams/stream05.shtml

j
stream05_map.jpg

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Oh yeah, we could do Metberry Gulch (since it's the only one open right now) and it goes right down to a turnaround at the Platte. :thumb:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
no, he didn't rewire you, you he just gave you a big dose of reality...

j

Well to quote Robin Williams " Reality Sucks"

I will slow down some but I will never give up or change. A suspension seat may be in the future.............anybody know of the best one out there??

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Just remembered the name of the are we used to go , Deckers. Good fishing, camping and soem wheeling.