• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Fly Fishing - Getting started recommendations

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
No gear, no experience.

What is the collective wisdom on basic gear to get started? I am a believer in starting simple, no problem with used gear.

I am anxious to get a pole and get started but don't want to develop bad habits, so should I read a book, watch a video, take a class?

Myredyota

Trail Ready
Don't buy anything yet!!!! Find someone that can spend some time with you teaching you some basics. Some fly shops will rent waders and boots. Have your friend take you to a stream and learn "Nymph" fishing (use their equipment). :D This is the easiest way to learn stream reading and hook setting. You do not need to know how to cast to Wyoming! Start with "nymphing" and then buy your own equipment and take a class at a fly shop. You can add the casting at anytime.

A fly fishing buddy is a great plan. Most guys I know have two or three rigs anyway.

Once you get a pole, your front yard is the best place to practice casting. It's much easier to concentrate on technique when you aren't also trying to balance on that one slick, tippy rock that gives you the perfect angle to cast into the pocket water up ahead.

My final piece of advice is to not forget that it isn't perfect technique that catches fish. If you don't have a perfect cast, you can still go and catch fish, or at the very least beat the water in some of the prettiest country around.

Yeah, I would say go with a buddy first and borrow his extra setup. If you really want your own, Craigslist is full of used once setups from guys who thought they were going to start a new hobby.

Enjoy being outside. Your first few times can be very frustrating with tangled lines and snags in trees. Start with simple casts on a nymph setup.

chaos

Rising Sun Member
Dan: I agree with everyone else... go with a friend who knows what they are doing. I started by reading books and watching videos but the times I really learned is when I had a guide or a friend who is good enough to be a guide. Even if you spring for half a day with a guide, your learning curve will be that much faster. I like the guys and flies & lies in deckers but almost any guide will do it.

Since I owe so many who taught me how to fly fishing and guys on this forum that have helped me, I'de be happy to show you how to get started... PM me if you want to talk about it. It would be an honor...

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
Thanks to all for the great responses and information. Good that July is way too busy for spending any money. I will take your combined advice and get started in August. Looking forward to some time on a river somewhere.

Let us know if you want to head out and hit the river.

I may be in Crested Butte at the end of August for a day of wheeling and a day of fishing, just in case you were interested in making a trip out of it.

Justin

Resurrect an old thread

2yrs ago I got bit by the fly fishing bug, having a blast leaning and fishing but I need some new gear. I've been float tubing for many years and have always used neoprene waders n fins...well as you can imagine, HOLY HOTNESS in the summer while fly fishing....

Does anyone know where/who sells used waders?

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I started w a Walmart setup doing nymphing and 90% of the fish I catch even to this day I catch the same way.

The other thing you'll want to pick up is some basic knots if you don't already have them from other types of fishing. Believe me you'll be tying a few knots the first few times you go ;)

You are welcome to borrow my previous setup any time. Its not getting much use these days. Cheap setup but nymphing doesn't take much.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
If you start looking for used gear check the local laws for use of felt soles boots. Many places won't allow them any more.

baja1d

Hard Core 4+
Look into the "warranties" of the larger rod manufactures. I know Sage has a lifetime/transferable warranty... I've gotten a few broken sage rods for $5 at yard sales, send them in for repair, and gotten a brand new $400 rod returned to me.

Travis Hurley
www.outerlimitsupply.com

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Resurrect an old thread

2yrs ago I got bit by the fly fishing bug, having a blast leaning and fishing but I need some new gear. I've been float tubing for many years and have always used neoprene waders n fins...well as you can imagine, HOLY HOTNESS in the summer while fly fishing....

Does anyone know where/who sells used waders?

Craigslist for used gear.

I fly fish a bunch. The last few years, I've skipped the waders. Just a pair on neoprene socks and my wading boots with some light weight quick dry pants. Fall and winter I layer for the weather with some breathable waders.

Fishy

Hard Core 4+
Look into the "warranties" of the larger rod manufactures. I know Sage has a lifetime/transferable warranty... I've gotten a few broken sage rods for $5 at yard sales, send them in for repair, and gotten a brand new $400 rod returned to me.

Travis Hurley
www.outerlimitsupply.com

Sage makes you pay the $50 fee now, even if you have the warranty card. At least they did when I had them fix my XP.