FlatNasty in Missouri - TLCA 30th anniv. event

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Hulk said:
I'm hoping to make this. Anyone else want to caravan out there? Should be a hoot.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=86843

Sept 30-Oct 1, 2006

Hmmmmm this kinda fits in the up till all hours of the night catagory for me as somehow I thing my sweet and understanding :Princess: might not be either if I plan on going to Missouri wheeling for our 22nd anniversary! :eek:
splat.gif
deal.gif
alarm.gif
peepwall.gif

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Uncle Ben said:
Hmmmmm this kinda fits in the up till all hours of the night catagory for me as somehow I thing my sweet and understanding :Princess: might not be either if I plan on going to Missouri wheeling for our 22nd anniversary!
deal.gif
Yeah, that would be a bad scene!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm still thinking of going to the big Flat Nasty event. After driving 2400 miles in the last 8 days, I'm not certain that I want to drive to this. If no one else from Colorado is interested, I may just buy a plane ticket and fly to St. Louis, and then grab an empty seat.

Anyone else interested in this event?

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Matt,

I'm not sure I want to go, yet. I'm sure the closer it gets the more I'll wish I was going. I suppose we could go together in one vehicle and split gas. Then it's only about $200 each on gas. Wanna take your 80?

Sounds like you want to go to St. Louis and see your family, though. I don't know if I want to take any extra time.

I wonder how many they need to not cancel the event?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'd probably be up for carpooling and taking my 80. However, you're right -- I was planning on a day or two with my folks in StL. That was my original plan: see the family, go wheelin'. Just got to figure out what makes the most sense. Having a road trip buddy would make the trip lots more fun and significantly cheaper. That would be awesome.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
So, I am toying with the idea of Flat Nasty. I have to be home by 1PM on Sunday Oct 1st though

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
You're looking at ~15 hours of driving, FYI. That's why I decided to buy a plane ticket.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, I would have to leave before the dinner and then drive all noght to get home. Doesn't look good. The wife said go, just be home on Sunday

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Looks like they are thinking of moving the dinner and raffle to Friday. That would put in me the proable yes column.

Matt, not all of us drive like you do.

860 miles is about 12-13 hours at 70MPH. I think the speed limit is 75MPH across the planes and Kansas. Microsoft Streets clocked it at less than 13 hours.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Well, I did have my wife and two small kids with me. It was probably slower than I would have been on my own.

However...

Don't forget to factor in 3 stops for gas @ 15 minutes each. Maybe one of those stops you'll need to visit the men's room and get a cheeseburger for another 15 minutes. Add an hour to Microsoft and you're at 14 hours. Also, you're going to be leaving the interstate once you get into Missouri in order to get down to Salem. Add another hour for twisty, turny, hilly roads (ever hear of the Ozarks?) That's 15 hours, bubba. :)

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I guess we will have to time it and see. Remember, I am a native Coloradoan. We do what we want, like hold Oktoberfest at Larimer square in September (went last night). :beer: :beer:

Besides Kansas is made for 80 MPH to compensate. Microsoft calculated at 65 MPH.

Since, it's the Ozarks, should I bring a gun? Don't want anyone asking me to squeal like a pig.

Hulk said:
Well, I did have my wife and two small kids with me. It was probably slower than I would have been on my own.

However...

Don't forget to factor in 3 stops for gas @ 15 minutes each. Maybe one of those stops you'll need to visit the men's room and get a cheeseburger for another 15 minutes. Add an hour to Microsoft and you're at 14 hours. Also, you're going to be leaving the interstate once you get into Missouri in order to get down to Salem. Add another hour for twisty, turny, hilly roads (ever hear of the Ozarks?) That's 15 hours, bubba. :)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Romer said:
Besides Kansas is made for 80 MPH to compensate. Microsoft calculated at 65 MPH.

Kansas is fast, but Missouri is slo-o-ow. It's a highly-populated state comapred to Colorado. I-70 seems like it is full of cars even out in the middle of nowhere.

Romer said:
Since, it's the Ozarks, should I bring a gun?

Last time I was back (July), I saw a sign on the door of the local fast food restaurant specifically telling people that guns were not allowed. I was surprised and asked my Dad about it. He sighed. "Yeah, so many people are carrying concealed weapons now, that those signs are becoming commonplace."

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok, I'm in... driving out with Romer :woot:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Cool. Wish I would have known you guys were thinking about going. I just didn't want to do the drive by myself.

I'll see you there. :)

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Hulk said:
Cool. Wish I would have known you guys were thinking about going. I just didn't want to do the drive by myself.

I'll see you there. :)

Say "hi" to Robbie, Chris and crew for me! Sure wish it didn't fall on my anniversary or I would be going! :bawl: :drool: :beer2: :(

For those wondering its 70MPH through KS all the way to KC then it drops to 65MPH through most of the city, then back up to 70 on I-70 in MO.

From Denver (Highlands Ranch) to KC its dead on almost 10 hours (although I have been known to complete the trip in around 9 hours with minimal stops). Its about 4.5 - 5 hours to Flat Nasty (this is a guestimate, but should be pretty accurate.)

Have a safe trip and see you there!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Hey Matt, when you come down on Friday, bring Ice. I'll need it for the Crown.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Romer said:
Hey Matt, when you come down on Friday, bring Ice. I'll need it for the Crown.

I'm coming in Thursday afternoon. Also, I remember reading about how Missourians recently learned the secrets of making ice. The skill has probably migrated to the Salem area by now. :D