Flat towing a 100

Hants

Rising Sun Member
My parents have a 25000 GVW diesel pusher motorhome. They're looking for a vehicle to flat tow with it.

Can a 100 (or 200) series be flat-towed? I know thinking can be dangerous... but I'm thinking that putting the TC in neutral and the transmission on P or N could work.

Anyone with experience with this?

:beer:

According to Toyota the answer is no, but I have friends that have been flat towing their 100 series for about 40k miles with no issues. My Tacoma is not supposed to be flat towed either, but I have several thousand miles on it behind my motorhome. T case in nuetral, tranny in park, key on 1 click to unlock steering.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
Thanks, Gary!

I'll share this with them when they get back from looking at houses.

:cheers:

Just be careful with what the "N" spot in the t-case actually does. On some vehicles (older I think) the t-case engages the front driveshaft in "N". Not too cool to have the front shaft spinning. More wear/tear. Also, if there aren't locking hubs then the vehicle is truly in 4x4 which is a no-no (ask how I found out!). Always best to disconnect rear driveshaft when possible or have a full floating rear with locking hubs. Obviously not practical in this case though.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Just be careful with what the "N" spot in the t-case actually does. On some vehicles (older I think) the t-case engages the front driveshaft in "N". Not too cool to have the front shaft spinning. More wear/tear. Also, if there aren't locking hubs then the vehicle is truly in 4x4 which is a no-no (ask how I found out!). Always best to disconnect rear driveshaft when possible or have a full floating rear with locking hubs. Obviously not practical in this case though.

80's and 100's have viscous coupled T-cases so your cautions above don't really apply. The issue with flat towing these rigs is the T-case oil pump which is driven off the countershaft. When in N the power through the T-case is disconnected from the drive shafts so the counter shaft does not rotate. I have never quite understood what the big issue would be as the output cluster is completely bathed in gear lube so in theory there should not be a problem flat towing. Just DO NOT make the mistake of putting the auto tranny in neutral as you will burn it up if it rotates with out the engine (pump) running!

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Acutally the 100 series does not have a viscous coupleing. Almost the same t-case with out the VC. It is more like the early 80 t-case(91-92). All gear driven t-case. I do not know about the 200 series t-case. But it may of gone the way of chains instead of gears. As for flat towing, Why put a great vehicle behind a big motor home with out a trailer. It put alot of wasted miles on the truck and extra stress on the steering (rack and pinion). It can not add that much in stress on the motor home(or that much less fuel ecomany) to tow a trailer that the cruiser rests on in a more protected enviroment. Just my 2cents. later robbie

Hants

Rising Sun Member
I'm trying to save them from buying a Heep Commander. :eek:

It's the only 4WD they have found that is covered under warranty if you flat-tow it.

Their concern with a trailer is fitting into RV parks and backing up. Pops says that backing up after removing the tow vehicle is tough enough already. :)

They went and test drove a LX570 and fell in love with it. My Dad is really concerned that Toyota(Lexus) won't cover flat-towing under warranty.

Thanks for the insights!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I'm trying to save them from buying a Heep Commander. :eek:

It's the only 4WD they have found that is covered under warranty if you flat-tow it.

Their concern with a trailer is fitting into RV parks and backing up. Pops says that backing up after removing the tow vehicle is tough enough already. :)

They went and test drove a LX570 and fell in love with it. My Dad is really concerned that Toyota(Lexus) won't cover flat-towing under warranty.

Thanks for the insights!

There is a reason that Commanders are towable! :rolleyes: The one I pulled out yesterday was pathetic. I pulled him with no buttons pushed and no tires broke loose. After I had it pulled back up on the crowned road it had a heck of a time getting going without slipping back into the shallow shoulder drainage. Granted, a lot of the issue was tires but I think a Cruiser with bald tires would have still done better!