FJ60 Frame Crossmember Repair

DanS

Rising Sun Member
Whooo boy. That is some bad rust.

Agreed.

When I discovered similar looking (but not that bad yet) rust in Guzzler, I did the easy way out and found a rust free donor frame and body. Someday I'll even get to putting it all back together I hope!

I'd start combing the inter webs for southern NM or AZ trucks with dead motors and stuff.

Dan

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Yeah, it is a lot more than when I bought the rig in 2011, am guessing it is that damn mag chloride. This was an Arizona truck and had less rust (practically none) than any other comparably aged 60 I have ever seen. And I certainly spent quality time underneath before pulling the trigger on buying it. For now, my plan is to reattach the crossmember so I have functional shocks. Longer term I understand I will have to replate that frame. That's okay, I know what's involved and will schedule that project in with all my other projects, it is just not on the plate right now.

Last night and tonight have been prep work, grinding and wirewheeling all rust down to bright metal on the surfaces that will be welded. I cut and prepped the second tube piece and plan to weld everything up tomorrow evening. With the subzero weather I am so happy to have a heated garage to work in!

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Yeah bummer on the rust, but I guess that's how it goes. Whats odd is its my body that's rusting badly... my frame is relatively OK. I wonder what the difference is..

Glad you had a warm spot to work on it. I spent an hour last night pulling my front drive shaft in the snowy driveway since it finally gave up the ghost. Man it was cold. This morning power steering leak. uhg.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
This morning power steering leak. uhg.

:mad: That sucks - hopefully it's on the return low pressure side? My pump groans when I first start her up in this kind of weather. I probably need to change the fluid, I would guess it's absorbed some water vapor over time.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Finished up tonight. Like most things, prep is really the most important, and time consuming part of these kinds of projects. I spent a lot of hours grinding and wirewheeling down to bright shiny metal to make sure the welds have a chance. While not the prettiest, I am confident they will hold up for however many years.

Attachments

• DSC_3136.jpg
    DSC_3136.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_3137.jpg
    DSC_3137.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 203

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member