FJ40 Carburetor Model Number

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
I'm trying to source a rebuild kit for the carburetor in the FJ40. From postings on MUD I've been able to figure out that there is a 3 digit code (in my case 9K3) which indicates the build date is November 3, 1969. NAPA is telling me that I need to get them a part number that is something like:
21100-60200
21100-60201
21100-60202
21100-60203

Apparently there should be a tag on the carburetor, but if it was there it has long since gone away.

I have not found the magic decoder ring to get from build date to the part number, even though I opened a box of cracker jack.:D Anyone know where I can find the cross reference?

wesintl

RS Moderator
I don't know what the oem number is but the keyster kit you need is the CA60117

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I'm trying to source a rebuild kit for the carburetor in the FJ40. From postings on MUD I've been able to figure out that there is a 3 digit code (in my case 9K3) which indicates the build date is November 3, 1969. NAPA is telling me that I need to get them a part number that is something like:
21100-60200
21100-60201
21100-60202
21100-60203

Apparently there should be a tag on the carburetor, but if it was there it has long since gone away.

I have not found the magic decoder ring to get from build date to the part number, even though I opened a box of cracker jack.:D Anyone know where I can find the cross reference?

I wonder what the 3 digit code is about? The numbers NAPA gave you correspond to the Toyota P/N system, but I have no idea if they are for the kit of the carb itself. Another puzzle, is that your 71 would have a 69 build date carb - I have several spares which *appear* to be identical to the one Jim C. built me for my 71. I *think* carbs were pretty much the same from 2BBL introduction (1968?, maybe 1969?) through around 1974 or so. Through the mid to late 1970s and early 1980s they changed a lot from one year to the next until they stabilized around 1982 or 1983 or so. I'll check for casting numbers and get back to you here when I go down and measure driveshafts for Chris :)

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
I wonder what the 3 digit code is about?

It may not happen often (I'll be able to answer your question - seems its often the other way around), but here is the thread that answers your question. I know it is on MUD, but I have it on good word the poster knows a bit about the subject.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
It may not happen often (I'll be able to answer your question - seems its often the other way around), but here is the thread that answers your question. I know it is on MUD, but I have it on good word the poster knows a bit about the subject.

Yeah, that's Jim Chenoworth, one of the known gurus on Cruiser carbs. You can read what he says and trust that it's good info.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I wonder what the 3 digit code is about? The numbers NAPA gave you correspond to the Toyota P/N system, but I have no idea if they are for the kit of the carb itself. Another puzzle, is that your 71 would have a 69 build date carb - I have several spares which *appear* to be identical to the one Jim C. built me for my 71. I *think* carbs were pretty much the same from 2BBL introduction (1968?, maybe 1969?) through around 1974 or so. Through the mid to late 1970s and early 1980s they changed a lot from one year to the next until they stabilized around 1982 or 1983 or so. I'll check for casting numbers and get back to you here when I go down and measure driveshafts for Chris :)

So I have 3 carbs that *appear* to have 1SO stamped on them. Obviously "S" does not correspond to a month in our 12 month calendar. The Macro photos didn't turn out, so I'm not posting them but I remain puzzled. I'd give Jim a call but I wouldn't want to trouble him with such trivia.

Attachments

• Carb01.jpg
    Carb01.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,337

wesintl

RS Moderator
That is probably the ISO cast not the stamp, but I'm not looking at your carbs so I don't know. Did you look through the mud thread?

wesintl

RS Moderator
The stamp on the years you have is usually between the 2 top plate screws that have the shorter distance. Like in you middle carb with the little tag on the top plate screw and 2 the right. Some earlier 2 barrells Ive seen stamped in the top plate but on the thin lip above the sight glass. If you haven't cleaned off the dirt in those areas it could be really hard to see. I went and pulled my 76-77 carb and I couldn't find the stamp until I looked REAL close. Even with no dirt on mine they are really faint sometimes. The 79 carb I have is a little cleaner and spotted it right away. It's not always where the ISO is cast. His pics are pretty clear. I thought there were some carbs that had the little metal tag like your middle one with the date code but I could be imagining things... I often do :hill:

I'm always impressed with your stash of stuff jeff. Have you dived into any of those for a rebuild?

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
The stamp on the years you have is usually between the 2 top plate screws that have the shorter distance. Like in you middle carb with the little tag on the top plate screw and 2 the right. Some earlier 2 barrells Ive seen stamped in the top plate but on the thin lip above the sight glass. If you haven't cleaned off the dirt in those areas it could be really hard to see. I went and pulled my 76-77 carb and I couldn't find the stamp until I looked REAL close. Even with no dirt on mine they are really faint sometimes. The 79 carb I have is a little cleaner and spotted it right away. It's not always where the ISO is cast. His pics are pretty clear. I thought there were some carbs that had the little metal tag like your middle one with the date code but I could be imagining things... I often do :hill:

I'm always impressed with your stash of stuff jeff. Have you dived into any of those for a rebuild?

After I read your follow up I did the forehead smack and realized that with out cleaning up the gunga that the actual stamp for the build date was gonna not be visible. Bad on me :-(

But compared to a FJ60 carb the 1970's era carbs are way simple. To answers you question, no I haven't, but have thought about it seriously, which is why I asked Mark Whatley about it and he answered my question in Toyota Trails. Photo of an FJ60 carb:

Attachments

• IMGP1037640x480.jpg
    IMGP1037640x480.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,924