• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

FJ40 backspacing! AHHH Please help.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Please help I am going crazy.

I am trying to order a new wheel for my trailer that matches the cruisers... 76 fj40. I know the factory backspacing is 3.5".

I also know you should never exceed 4" and many manufactureres make a 3.75". That said...

I have put a tape, ruler and level on my wheels and I keep getting 3 7/8", I am going crazy. I want it to match what I have so I think that the 3.75 is the best choice. I am only looking for a white wagon wheel style wheel here nothing fancy.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Drew

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
The best way (always) is to test-fit the rims. If you're mail-ordering them, I don't know what to suggest. I always thought 3.75 *was* the factory backspacing number.

There is supposedly 'one' brand/model of white spoke wheel that fits a disk-brake FJ perfectly, and that would be in the TLCA email list archives. I thought JT Outfitters claimed to stock a white wagon wheel that fit, too. Your corner 'Discount Tire' won't have anything in stock that will work - I'm pretty sure of that. Unless the seller is a 'cruiserhead blood-brother, don't take anyone's word that a given rim will fit - there are too many that don't.

Steve

3.75" backspacing is pretty common for white wagon wheels on a 15x8. 3 5/8" is another pretty common backspacing in the wagon wheels off the shelf. The 15x7s can be as little as 3.25" backspacing in the white wagon wheels.

Are you measuring from the outside edge of the rim or the tire?

3.5" backspacing is factory.

I'm with Steve, go to a local tire store and test fit and pick it up there. Unless you need a custom backspaced wheel the savings will be really slim on a couple of trailer wheels and it is best to get the right one.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Thanks guys.

I bought two wheels off Wes here a few months ago, but then I scored two perfectly new MTRs. I would like to have the same wheel all the way around, so I can rotate them and get more miles before I have to re-up for new tires.

That said, I did measure from where the hub face meets the rim to the inner edge of the wheel, using a straight edge and metal ruler. I have checked my measurement on three wheels, one on the rig, and both of Wes' wheels... all came out the same at 3 7/8"

I think I will go with the 3.75" and see what happens, Summit Racing carries them for 47 bucks a pop... does anyone know of a local shop that might have them in stock? White Wagon wheels.

Thanks guys and gals!

Drew

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
Believe it or not...

I've had good luck with our local BIG O Tires on s. Boulder Road. They are friendly, and I think at least one of the guys is a Jeeper, and we always start talking about our rigs, etc..

I went there with my 60 to get a replacement spare wheel...I went to the counter and said, "See those wheels? I need another one just like them" He ordered it up - fits perfect on my 60.

HTH

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
the problem arises in the design of some of the rims. 4wpw used to sell a white wagon that fit because it was just a thick spoke design. they've now gone to a thinner steel, with a lip on the back, that doesnt' fit.

if you've got wagons, i've got two 15x8 white wagons i'll get rid of cheap. these are the old style that fit over teh calipers with no issues. ran them on my 60 for about two years, but went back to stock chromies.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Technically back spacing is from the outside of the bead well to the axle flange mating surface of the wheel center. If you are measuring from the wheel weight lip that would account for the extra .25"
Thanks guys.

I bought two wheels off Wes here a few months ago, but then I scored two perfectly new MTRs. I would like to have the same wheel all the way around, so I can rotate them and get more miles before I have to re-up for new tires.

That said, I did measure from where the hub face meets the rim to the inner edge of the wheel, using a straight edge and metal ruler. I have checked my measurement on three wheels, one on the rig, and both of Wes' wheels... all came out the same at 3 7/8"

I think I will go with the 3.75" and see what happens, Summit Racing carries them for 47 bucks a pop... does anyone know of a local shop that might have them in stock? White Wagon wheels.

Thanks guys and gals!

Drew

wesintl

RS Moderator
were you not able to use those 2 :confused:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I always thought 3 5/8 was the stock backspacing. I ordered some 15" American Racing wheels for my project 40 with 3" backspacing. They rubbed on my rear Chevy calipers, which I had to grind down. :(

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
were you not able to use those 2 :confused:

Wes, your wheels work just fine! They were a bit smaller than all my other wheels in terms of width... I realized I have a perfect spare wheel on the spare tire, so I am going to add one more 10" wide rim so I can rotate all my tires between the truck and trailer. I will use one of your wheels for the spare now.

As for the rumors they are true, U.S. Wheel will custom make any backspacing you want for 10 bucks a wheel!

Thanks for the help everyone.

Drew