FJ40 and FJ60 Parts For Sale

FJ40 Axles For Sale

Axles are located in Fort Collins, CO You can PM me or e-mail me at coloradobound25@yahoo.com.

1978 FJ40 Axles Complete front and Rear $400
1979 FJ40 Axles Complete front and Rear $400 These do not have manual hubs.

Just edited the post to remove what sold.

Last edited:

74fj40

Hard Core 4+
Do you have a pedal bucket from the 60?
Thanks.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
The 1978 should be 4.11 with fine spline pinions. The 1979 should be 3.70, also fine spline pinions. Those are good prices. There was a fellow at the rally who had a front with 3.70 for sale for $700. At $400, yours should go pretty quick. Over the years, it seems that around $500 is the going price for a complete hub to hub disk front with 3rd.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
The 1978 should be 4.11 with fine spline pinions. The 1979 should be 3.70, also fine spline pinions. Those are good prices. There was a fellow at the rally who had a front with 3.70 for sale for $700. At $400, yours should go pretty quick. Over the years, it seems that around $500 is the going price for a complete hub to hub disk front with 3rd.

'78 is actually a transition year. Early production 78's should have the highly coveted fine spine 4.11's while late 78 trucks most came with FS 3.70's The 40 difs however came with the large pattern rectangular pinion flange while the FJ-62's have the better round flange than can be re-drilled for the small pattern.

Axles

To be honest with you, I had sold the frame and tub with title and vin plates. I can't remember what the build date was. For some reason it seemed like mid year, but that is just going off of memory. Sorry

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
'78 is actually a transition year. Early production 78's should have the highly coveted fine spine 4.11's while late 78 trucks most came with FS 3.70's The 40 difs however came with the large pattern rectangular pinion flange while the FJ-62's have the better round flange than can be re-drilled for the small pattern.

Agreed on the flange pattern, however my understanding (based on both reading and first hand observations) is that USA spec 40s and 55s were 4.11 through 12/1978. Normally Toyota "cut in" new model years for the USA market in Sept of the previous year, but 1978/1979 was an anomaly for Cruisers in that the cut-in was January 1979. Lots of changes, body, underneath fuel tank, center console, squared bezel, etc.

As most of us know, there are many exceptions to cut-in on various changes, and wouldn't be surprised if there were a few 3.70s that ended up on late 78s; it was kind of like when they started using a newer version of something, they found a stash of old somethings in a corner of the Araco plant and used them up, even after they had cut in a newer version. Early 1960s were notorious for this (easy example is centered diffs on some early 40s but not others, etc.), but the practice continued through the 1970s. Another example is non-USA stuff - drums fronts continued to the rest of the world through 1985 (yes they still produced and exported FJ40s in 1985!).

Even with the diff installed, it's not too hard to count turns to figure out ratio. Just put the axle on jackstands, turn the flange and see where the wheels line up after 4 turns. And with the diff out it's even easier, just count teeth. Always 37 on the ring gear, 9 on the pinion for 4.11s and 10 for 3.70s. Happy cruisin'!

Thread

No, I hadn't started one yet. I just haven't had the time to devote to fixing the cruiser yet. Once I can get some time, I will see what kind of information and ideas that you have.

Thank you

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
figure out what is wrong with my cruiser?

Okay, start a thread on tech. Model and year along with any major mods (V8 conversion for example) that might figure into the problem solving for what's wrong. Most of us have older Toyotas and might have dealt with your issue and can help speed you up the curve.