• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Finally a DSLR owner

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have a Nikon D3300. Very happy with it, but I'm about to step up to the D7100 or possibly the Full Frame D810.

With that being said, I've quickly learned that the lens and the shooter are the most important factors for most quality shots. I shoot A LOT and that's the best way for me to learn.

I'll post up the D3300 for sale here soon.

What are the "step ups" with these models? It's hard enough to understand the differences between D3100, 3200, 3300, but then when you look at the 5000 and 7000 series, its hard for the untrained user to see the differences. Maybe they would be lost on a lightweight photographer?

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/dslr.htm

FX vs DX formats are the biggest difference. The guide above shows some of the changes between models without having to dig for the info.
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/index.htm

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how big these photos are. You will need to buy a bigger/faster PC and increase your hard drive size. Then you will be unhappy with the quality of your shots until you buy a monitor cable of displaying the shots without compression.

Click for what the full resolution of the D7100 is:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/treeroot/DSC_3320.JPG

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/treeroot/DSC_3558.JPG

12MB each and the 64GB card x2 holds 2,700 x 2 images.

subzali

Hard Core 4+

lars

RS Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been thinking of this post all day. First off Congrats on stepping up and getting a DSLR. You’re going to love it. The debate was over a Nikon and a Canon. Both are great pieces of equipment. With that, I look at why I upgraded from a point and shoot to a DLSR. My reason was that I wanted flexibility than a point and shoot could offer. With that, the software in both pieces of equipment are good, but what I was looking for was being able to control the camera myself and not letting the on board computer take the shot for me. Because of that, I went and took a class on what all of the manual settings did and how to best use them. I wanted to learn the craft of taking a good picture. That would be my best suggestion for you, learn the craft,. Let your artistry take over and have a good time.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I’ve been thinking of this post all day. First off Congrats on stepping up and getting a DSLR. You’re going to love it. The debate was over a Nikon and a Canon. Both are great pieces of equipment. With that, I look at why I upgraded from a point and shoot to a DLSR. My reason was that I wanted flexibility than a point and shoot could offer. With that, the software in both pieces of equipment are good, but what I was looking for was being able to control the camera myself and not letting the on board computer take the shot for me. Because of that, I went and took a class on what all of the manual settings did and how to best use them. I wanted to learn the craft of taking a good picture. That would be my best suggestion for you, learn the craft,. Let your artistry take over and have a good time.

Thanks for that note James. :thumb:

I couldn't agree with you more, and I've taken to heart what you and others (Cheeseman specifically) have said on this forum about learning the art of photography. We'll see what happens, there is definitely a discipline about it that I would like to learn and will need to be conscious of as I compose photos with this or any other camera.

As an aside, I guess the decision for me wasn't so much about Nikon vs. Canon, it was about the Canon Rebel T5 vs. the Nikon D3200, due to the sales prices they both had that brought them into my price range. Had it been a different Canon that had reviews as good as or better than the Nikon, I might have been swayed that way.

But I do like that a lot of folks in the club shoot Nikon so I could maybe bum some lenses to try if the opportunity presents itself :D

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+