Feedback on 76 FJ 40

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
Got someone wanting to trade me a nice 76 FJ 40, but I don't know how much something like this is worth. Also, would like to know a little history about them.. has the 2F, 4spd.. I'm worried about the altitude and Carb @ over 10,000ft.. Here are some more specs. OPINIONS???

X60,000 miles - Probably 160k, it's too clean to be 260k, and too old to be 60k only.
Front and rear disc brakes. Rears are a TSM kit professionally installed with stainless steel lines last fall.
Knuckles professionally repacked less than 5000 miles ago.
Hell For Stout 4" lift with 4+ anti-inversion shackles
Tach
Front seats are leather and heated, drivers side power (from Volvo)
Soft top and doors
new voltage regulator as of last Saturday
Alternator and battery both checked by local Napa last Saturday, alt. puts out 15 volts
33X12.50 BFG Mud T/A's. I drive it 3 days per week, if I was going to make it a daily driver I would probably put new tires on it. Those fat mud's can get pretty squirrley on the highway.

Radio Shack CB

Painless 3 circuit wiring harness installed in glove box, powers CB and both seats.
Procomp ES3000 shocks installed 18 months, about 5000 miles ago.
New muffler installed last fall.
3 point seat belts installed last fall.
All gauges and lights work.
Pristine OEM steel gas tank installed last month. Will also come with the poly tank that I removed (it was a PO install, and I could never get the fumes to go away, steel tank fixed that instantly and added a couple gallons more capacity)
Aftermarket header. PO install, so I can't verify when or what brand.
Brand new bumperettes, never installed.
Will come with a couple spare driveshafts that the PO included, and whatever other parts I have around. I believe I have the original jack and a couple other various parts I've never got around to dealing with.
I bought it in August of 2004. It's a strong driver, PO claimed to have rebuilt the engine about 30,000 miles ago. I can't verify that, but its a strong runner. Has no problem driving around here at 5,000+ feet, and I've had it up over 10,000 with no issues. Passed Colroado emissions.
It does not have power steering or a radio.
I have the frames for the rear jump seats, but no cushion or upholstery on them, and they are not installed.
Has a couple small oil leaks, and the usual squeaks and rattles for a 30 year old truck.
Has the usual rust spots, I'm not going to speculate as to if its a lot or a little, as that's all relative. It does have diamond plate on the rear quarters, I've never taken it off to see what it looks like underneath.

Attachments

• DSC06927.JPG
    DSC06927.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC06931.JPG
    DSC06931.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC06955.JPG
    DSC06955.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC07063.JPG
    DSC07063.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC07064.JPG
    DSC07064.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 198

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
Have more pics of interior, underneath and engine if that helps...

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Looks pretty solid. With a paint job to make the hard top match, it might be worth $8k.

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
Thanks!......he was asking $7,500.00 and throwing some cash on top!

Maddmatt

Trail Ready
Boy, do I miss that truck. It was mine (in fact, he's even using the description I wrote when I sold it last spring) until last year. Strong runner, he's added the top, wheels, tires, and rear rack since buying it from me. Dripped some oil, but nothing major. A small bit of frame rust, as you can see in the picture he sent you.

PM me if you have specific questions, I haven't seen it in nearly a year, so I wouldn't know much about it right now.
-Matt

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
I THOUGHT that was yours~!

Then, I said....naaaah. I really liked your 40. enough to want one someday!

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
No kidding! Small world......Yea, he said it was the original description.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Aside from the Bling Bling wheels, I like it. Looks solid.

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
I have decided to pass on this deal, so if someone is interested in buying this please contact the owner "Todd" @ Sandjcky1@aol.com
Think he is asking $7,500.00 for it... It's also on Pirate4x4!
Don't know how to move this over to FOR SALE postings or I would....

THIS IS NOT MINE SO PLEASE CONTACT THE OWNER!

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
So when he says stuff like "last month" note that was Matt saying "last month" about 9 months ago. last fall=over 1 year ago, etc. That is WEAK to use an old description like that. Those HFS springs are absolutley mean to your interior.

This truck was in the LC documentary, though, so there's that... :rolleyes: