• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Feb. Boulder RD OHV Committee Meeting!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Please, do plan to attend THIS THURSDAY. Note that the Roadless Area proposals in Boulder Ranger District will be reviewed. There is a lot of OHV usage in the BRD besides Lefthand, so be sure to attend to see how you may be impacted!

Note that roadless designation does not preclude OHV trails, but may preclude 4x4 primitive 'roads' and their maintenance, so it is very important to understand the proposals.

From Adam Mehlberg:
All,
The February meeting will be Thursday the 23rd at 5:00pm at the Boulder Ranger District Office, 2140 Yarmouth Ave, Boulder, 303-541-2500.

Below is the agenda for the meeting.

------------------------

Mission/Direction:

To coordinate and implement volunteer projects on the Boulder Ranger District related to the maintenance of OHV recreation.

Education - Restoration - Information Test for projects: is it signing? erosion control? restoration?

keeping the public on the route? education? re-establishing closures of previous decisions?

------------------------

Agenda:

1) Schedule Next Meeting - All

2) 2005 grants

319 Grant for Lefthand status (Colleen)

3) 4WD Road Signing project - Adam

Adopt-A-Road agreement for Miller Rock, status.

Adopt-A-Road agreement for Lefthand.

Update on maps for Peewink and Comforter Mtn., Gordon, Fairwell, and Bear Gulch.

Jumbo Mountain access. Talk with Mike Johnson. (JD)

4) Motorized Trail Signing project - JD

Motorized trail system routes list needed.

5) Lefthand Travel Planning update - Brian/Cat Update on Lefthand Travel EA final, out in Feb?

6) Yankee Doodle Lake - Bill/Roz/Valerie Status on Jenny Creek road and restoration project.

Coordination with Rollins Pass Restoration group.

7) Sugarloaf Single Track - JD

Status of single track network near Sugarloaf Mountain.

8) Gillespie Gulch - Colleen/Greg/John

Condition of road. Feedback on reports sent to FS.

9) National Forest Funding - Roz

Status of COHVCO, CMC, others on Congressional funding.

10) Status of Overland Fire Closure - ?

Can the area closure be lifted?

11) Roadless Review - Adam

Maps received of Boulder District showing areas proposed as roadless.

12) Lefthand Cleanup - Adam

Lefthand Cleanup to be May 7th. Need volunteer agreement from FS.

Any new issues or concerns to work on, or Forest Service projects related to Boulder Ranger District motorized recreation. - All

Boulder Ranger District projects list are online at
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/projects/

---------------------------------------------

On Hold 2006:

1) Restoration Projects on Park Creek, Bald Mountain description of work for Categorical Exclusion.

2) BRD Transportation Inventory Grant

---------------------------------------------

Last Meeting:

2) 2005 grant proposals - All

Rainbow Lakes grant status (Paul)- decision in April.

319 Grant for Lefthand status (Colleen)- ranked in upper 5%, will most likely get funding.

3) 4WD Road Signing project - Adam

Adopt-A-Road agreement for Miller Rock, no status.

2006 road signing, working on map of Peewink and Comforter Mtn.

4) Motorized Trail Signing project - JD

Cat is working on list of motorized trails that are system routes.

6) Lefthand Travel Planning update - Brian/Cat May be out in February.

7) Yankee Doodle Lake - Bill/Roz/Valerie FS is reviewing connection at west end, by lake, to keep use out of bog area. Projects are working well.

8) Sugarloaf Single Track - JD

No update.

9) Gillespie Gulch - Colleen/Greg/John

Lack of communication with clubs on blading was recognized. Report sent by Colleen to FS on the damage done.

10) National Forest Funding - Roz

No status yet.

Adam Mehlberg 3jeeps@cohvco.org 3jeeps@frii.com Trailridge Runners 4WD Club Secretary

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I know this club loves practical work - something to show at the end of the day

Yankee Doodle Lake mudbog closure project coming up!

It will likely occur in mid-late July. Brian with the BRD laid out what has to happen first, involving the usual hurdles of hydrologist analysis, scarification and rehabilitation, then construction of pipe barriers to prevent continued destruction. I proposed that the pipe barriers (which we would be especially useful at constructing) be done first, with a cabled-off entry for a backhoe to do the rehab some point after that. Brian liked that proposal, it has the advantage of breaking the project up into manageable chunks.

Here is what we will need:
  • Brian will produce an estimate of linear feet of drilling pipe.
  • I will research with the Rampart Range Motorcycle Management Committee on where they purchased similar pipe, how much it cost, etc. I can then propose our purchasing same to the club.
  • We then need to arrange the following, preferably through donation or volunteerism or reduced rates. If we procure it, it's infinitely easier than the USFS arranging it (competitive bids, put out to contract, delays, bureaucracy, etc.). I need someone from the club to take the point on these:
    • Backhoe/frontloader
    • Bobcat with a post hole digger
    • Flatbed truck or small semi to haul lengths of pipe, concrete mix, and tools/equipment
    • Welding equipment, either on vehicles or a stick welder / generator. I can provide the stick welder.
    • Concrete mixer

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
FYI, this will be a joint project with members of the Sierra Club. I would expect (and would note the absence of) members of the Wilderness Society as well. I intend to invite the Colorado Dualsporters motorcycle forum, the Colorado Trailriders motorcycle forum, and of course a representative or two from other 4x4 clubs and OHV clubs.

It would make a fantastic and very visible statement of common cause.