Father's Day: Spring Creek Run

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Just a reminder that the club will be running it's annual Father's Day Run this Sunday, June 18. Jeff Zepp leads this run every year, and is planning on leading it again this year. He is elbows deep in Cruiser parts, which is probably why we don't have much discussion on this. But mark your calendars -- it's this Sunday!

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Not just elbow deep, more like hip deep! Trying like heck to get my rig done in time. Rings and bearings were supposed to be in on Friday, they didn't show up until yesterday afternoon. The transition gear to mate the 4 speed tranny to my 3 speed t-case came in, I went up to Joe's to pick it up and it was the wrong gear!

As I've planned all along, I'm going to start an official thread describing the run as soon as I know for sure I can get everything together in time. This run has become so popular these last couple years it hasn't taken much advance notice. I put it up on the calendar months ago, before I knew I had a huge wrenching project to deal with.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
Rzeppa said:
Not just elbow deep, more like hip deep! Trying like heck to get my rig done in time. Rings and bearings were supposed to be in on Friday, they didn't show up until yesterday afternoon. The transition gear to mate the 4 speed tranny to my 3 speed t-case came in, I went up to Joe's to pick it up and it was the wrong gear!

As I've planned all along, I'm going to start an official thread describing the run as soon as I know for sure I can get everything together in time. This run has become so popular these last couple years it hasn't taken much advance notice. I put it up on the calendar months ago, before I knew I had a huge wrenching project to deal with.

do you want someone else to lead?

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
green machine said:
do you want someone else to lead?
Are you planning to go? If so, I could use a backup. I am heck-bent to get my rig together and lead this run, this will be the 7th annual. I just got my crank installed. Plastigage said .002" on all 4 mains, spec is .0015-.0024, so far so good! Now, on to the rods and pistons!

Beater

Hard Core 4+
well, I was planning on camping saturday, and running the trail with the club on the way from the area. I want to take my son fishing on chicago lakes/creek.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I'm planning on being there! New tires and new master cylinder included! :thumb:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Got the rod bearings all plastigaged, they're also running about .002, good to go! Installed all 6 pistons, number 2 was a bugger, had to take it out and put it back in a couple times to get it right, the rings kept wanting to stick. It seems like every wrenching project has some stupid little task that takes 10 times longer than it's supposed to. Number 2 install took as long as all 5 of the others put together. I finally finished the pistons around 10:30, time to chow down and get ready to go at it full bore tomorrow. Hopefully by this time tomorrow the engine will be assembled, maybe have the clutch, bellhousing and tranny bolted up too.

I haven't started tearing the rig down yet since she still runs, and if pressed I could run the trail the way she is now, in case I hit a brick wall with this project.

Besides engine rebuild and 4 speed tranny swap, I also have to install my spare CB, my mic took a dump at Moab on the first day out and I was relegated to my handheld.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
All this, and SuperJeff holds down a day job too! WHEW!

I plan on finally getting out and wheeling and putting the house on 'HOLD' for even just a day, and the fetching Mrs. Morgan will likely accompany me. Hopefully she won't be all bored again... :(

Beater

Hard Core 4+
Red_Chili said:
All this, and SuperJeff holds down a day job too! WHEW!

I plan on finally getting out and wheeling and putting the house on 'HOLD' for even just a day, and the fetching Mrs. Morgan will likely accompany me. Hopefully she won't be all bored again... :(

I can ride with you, and Laurie can drive Green with Carrie riding shotgun.

that way we can light a smoke, and they can chat!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Forgot to ask, does anybody think my truck will have issues running Spring Creek? I have a couple pictures in my tire thread, but the highlights are that I have a Lockright in the rear and I'm getting new tires on Thursday - I stayed with the 31 x 10.50 MT/R, I think I'll be happier with that size (just for now, until the truck grows). My rocker panels are trimmed about 3 1/2 inches higher than stock, and my rear wheel well is about 1 inch higher than stock. My tailpipe hangs below my skid plate, but that's getting fixed ;) next week so I'm not concerned if it gets banged up. Any thoughts?

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
subzali said:
Forgot to ask, does anybody think my truck will have issues running Spring Creek? I have a couple pictures in my tire thread, but the highlights are that I have a Lockright in the rear and I'm getting new tires on Thursday - I stayed with the 31 x 10.50 MT/R, I think I'll be happier with that size (just for now, until the truck grows). My rocker panels are trimmed about 3 1/2 inches higher than stock, and my rear wheel well is about 1 inch higher than stock. My tailpipe hangs below my skid plate, but that's getting fixed ;) next week so I'm not concerned if it gets banged up. Any thoughts?

You will have your hands full, mainly with clearance issues on 31's. But a 40 is the one vehicle that could beat it's way through and come out ok. Go for it, you'll have pleanty of quality wheelers around to help you if needed.

I won't be able to make it again.:(

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
green machine said:
I can ride with you, and Laurie can drive Green with Carrie riding shotgun.

that way we can light a smoke, and they can chat!
No smoking in the woods, d00d... tinder dry. After, before (ewww, pipe smoke and Egg McMuffin, ewwww), sure, but not during.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
subzali said:

In the words of the Great Cheeseman....
You'll be fine.... you'll be just fine...

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Hm...Bill it sounds like there's a good story behind that quote, too bad I won't know what it is until I get back from the run :eek: :D