Fall Elk Bugling

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I rifle hunt first season and spend a few weeks calling them in for fun in the Flat Tops in late Sept. We are pretty protective of our spot. Thus, I just prefer to post in the members section.

My hunting buddy Dan and I called in this bull on our first evening in our area. He is a beauty. We are calling him the beaded bull and hope to connect with him next week - 1st season. I got some of the best video footage yet. He came in real close. I still need to edit the footage down and post it. Here are a few screen shots.

Side story. I took the footage Friday evening. Continued down to the end of the trail near a cliff to spend the night. It was dark. I dropped my camera and it rolled off the cliff. I recovered it the next morning smashed. To my dismay the data was being recorded to the internal memory not the removable chip. Found a write up about an intern that figured out how to recovery the internal data on a similar camera to mine. I just got it back from the data recovery service today. It also had my Moab escalator footage on it. Whew!

Attachments

• elk02 (Small).jpg
    elk02 (Small).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 306
  • elk01 (Small).jpg
    elk01 (Small).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 297
  • elk03 (Small).jpg
    elk03 (Small).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 308

rover67

Rising Sun Member
that's impressive dude.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Opps I meant to ;post in the members forum. That was pretty funny Kimmel.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Sausage, please. the kind with the cheese and jalapenos in it. :)

I'm looking to do my first elk hunt in the near future, first hunt of anything, really. Looks like you found a great spot and have been well rewarded for it!

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
I'm looking into a cow tag myself. Seems like most farms around here have lots of them though, so should be pretty easy. I bet the cleaning will be pretty tough, what with 4 stomachs and all.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I'm looking into a cow tag myself. Seems like most farms around here have lots of them though, so should be pretty easy. I bet the cleaning will be pretty tough, what with 4 stomachs and all.

White face elk! :thumb::thumb:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
After 5 days of hunting hard my friend Dan finally got a glimpse of the "Bearded Bull" on the ridge. It was from the same spot we took the Sept. video (sorry I still need to edit it down and post it). He had one shot and made it at 370 yds.

Attachments

• 20121017_110345 (Small).jpg
    20121017_110345 (Small).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 246

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Upon further review of the pictures. Dan didn't shoot the same bull we bugled in. The tines on the side don't stick out as far as the Bearded Bull in the video I have.

Attachments

• elk04 (Small).jpg
    elk04 (Small).jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 240