• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Exploring Victor, CO. June 19-20th 2020

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Alright all, looking forward to this weekend!

First, here is the current list of who is going:

Going:

@Old40Dog
@midna
@J1000
@FJCDan
@dan1554
@Lars
@Inukshuk
@Stuckinthe80s
@gungriffin

As far as Friday goes, again here is my plan:

Meet up Friday morning the 19th in Canon City at 9:30am. Hopefully this will leave enough time for everyone to get there (please factor in time if your traveling I-25. with the construction through the gap, travel time can be affected). Well meet at the Royal Gorge Regional Museum in Canon City. The plan is to get to Victor via the Phantom Canyon road- an old grade of the Florence and Cripple Creek Railroad. Looks to be more photo ops and views along this route than challenging obstacles. The thought of this trip was to just go check an area out (also to counterbalance me postponing the Train Trip), so there is no real agenda other than Phantom Canyon. I think it would be fun to check out some of the places @Old40Dog has found Friday afternoon than find camp. I have one idea for camp but it's a bit south of town.

Unfortunately, i'm now going to need to bug out Saturday morning. The new gear I ordered (camera) is set to arrive to the apartment while i'm gone Friday. Knowing what I paid for this thing, i'd rather it not sit out in the open to long. So, hopefully between @FJCDan , @Inukshuk and @Old40Dog , the rest of the weekend should be a blast.

I'll be leaving Friday morning from the Cabin (trying to milk as many Thursday nights up there this summer as possible), so will be heading down via Dekers.

Looking forward to Friday!

:beer::beer:

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Can’t wait, looking forward to getting out. Has anyone checked fire restrictions down there yet? I can bring my propane fire pit. Looks like we might be in for some rain Friday afternoon or night. Daniel definitely in for a caravan if you leave Friday morning.

Lars

RS Moderator
Staff member
If you guys are going to caravan, let me know, I'm in.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I got a hall pass to head down Thursday night. Time to crack a cold one and get more organized in the garage!

Lars

RS Moderator
Staff member
Sorry guys, I'm going to have to back out. The better half mom is having heart surgery, going into hospital Friday night for Surgery sat and the better half is stuggleing with the situation. I think my time would be better spent in town with her. I was really looking forward tot his trip. Next time!!

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Good luck Lars and family!

My wife and I will be meeting everyone in Canon City in the morning. I avoid I-25 as long as possible and usually take highway 85 to 105 to Monument if anyone wants to caravan.

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
We will be heading out early tomorrow as well, see you all in Canyon City

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
My parents decided to stay an extra day so I'll be backing out as well. Have fun everyone!

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
A little update from the trip, my wife and decided to bail out yesterday afternoon. We got late start getting on the trail waiting for the guys that stayed at Dave’s. Finally got on the trail late morning. Weather was cloudy and cool but comfortable around 60 degrees, until the weather changed just before we got to Victor. Wind, rain, sleet and cold 41 degrees. Just too much for my wife who just had hip replacement 4 months ago. We were really looking forward to camping and this trip but we made the right decision. Texted Daniel when we got home after 12 hours in the truck and they found camp along Shelf road. As they say Happy wife Happy life. At least they should have nice weather for the rest of the weekend. Sorry we had to go early Perry. Dan Perry got his new camera early so should have some great pics.