Exide Orbital battery/napa battery

FJBen

I'm avoiding Optima's....I've just heard too many bad's/goods in general...

Are these one in the same???

ORB78DT-84 is the model I picked up at ih8mud

Napa has an Orbital Exide Napa part number 993478 which crosses to the ORB78DT-84....

Same thing? $184 price tag :( but my current napa is 6 years old. I still have $8.00 pro-rated :D

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
These are different. I have had one in the 80 for 3 years and in the 4runner for two. I also have a yellow top Optima as the deep cycle batt on my 80 and haven't had any issues.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
I'm avoiding Optima's....I've just heard too many bad's/goods in general...

Are these one in the same???

ORB78DT-84 is the model I picked up at ih8mud

Napa has an Orbital Exide Napa part number 993478 which crosses to the ORB78DT-84....

Same thing? $184 price tag :( but my current napa is 6 years old. I still have $8.00 pro-rated :D

deka, optima and orbital are all absorbed glass mat, so all the same technology

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Steve (crash) just got one for Bart. He likeing it .

Yup, I be liking it!! I've heard Deka and Odyssey batteries described as the second generation compared to Optima's first generation AGM type batt. This is from the Denver distributor of all three but he knows more about them than I do. The Group 31 Deka weighs 69lbs vs. the same Group 31 Blue Top's 59.8lbs. Can't comment on the Deka's performance since it was just installed but it does spin the starter over pretty nicely, eh, Robbie? :thumb:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I have had no issues with two Optima Yellow-Tops, after I figured out that when you deep discharge them (such as, say, welding a winch point on Jenny Creek, duh), you really need to let them sit a week on the charger.

You just need to care for glass mat batts by keeping them charged and avoid passing a LOT of current through them all at once. And buying a dadgum welder so you do it right.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I have the Orbital and as last year Moab no problems. I was looking at the Odyssey batteries too since their smaller size makes it a better fit for a dual set up. I used to have a Panther x2 battery that fit into the space of my single battery, way easy to wire.

I would say the Orbital is just fine, have some lights and a winch on it no worries.

I may still be looking at getting two Odyssey batteries instead of the Orbital, we'll see how the $$$ flow through the wallet this year.

FJBen

Great info :thumb::beer:

I think I"m going for the Deka, $123.00 here locally and they have it....

mentioned a few of their clients changed from Optima to Deka and that so far they hadn't had any issues with the Deka's. So we'll see.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
yep, i've had my big optima yellowtop in three trucks now since 2000. and i even dropped it on the driveway while i was running with it... it has a BIG dent in the side of it. that happened a year ago.. still no problems.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Great info :thumb::beer:

I think I"m going for the Deka, $123.00 here locally and they have it....

mentioned a few of their clients changed from Optima to Deka and that so far they hadn't had any issues with the Deka's. So we'll see.

Ben, where did you source these?

Drew

FJBen

A place in greeley, I'll get the number...I can't remember off the top of my head and I have it written down... :hill: let me find that paper and post back up.

Ben

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
Have two Red Tops in both my Yota's. Never a problem and great batteries. Interstate Batteries makes them and their made in Aurora from what I understand.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
A place in greeley, I'll get the number...I can't remember off the top of my head and I have it written down... :hill: let me find that paper and post back up.

Ben

Hmmmm....found that number yet? :confused: ;)

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Hensley Battery, near Mile High Stadium (Invesco who?) is the local distributor but Tony at ReCo Battery King at W 7th and Sheridan will sell them for a few $ less. Funky little shop but Tony is as genuine as the day is long - in June! I've been buying batts from him for 10 years or so and he only wants to make the customer happy.

http://www.dekabatteries.com/ZipSearch.aspx?pageid=843

Looks like there is one in denver for you guys as well :)