Exide Marathon Batteries

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Looking for a battery for the pink panty mobile :hill:

The Optima batteries were already (sort of) discussed in another thread and if you read that you know my thoughts on Optimas in general (although the current one in my 40 seems to be doing ok so far).

Anyway, I came across these Exide Marathon batteries and was wondering if anyone has an experience with them? Can't beat the warranty (40 mo free replacement / 108 mo prorated) and they seem to be powerful enough. But in an 80 that may (hopefully will) see some extreme angles should I be concerned with running a battery that isn't "closed/sealed"? I know the fill holes are plugged but should I be concerned about leakage?

These relatively new Exide Marathon batteries don't seem to be readily available but the above would apply to any non dry cell battery I guess.

Thanks for the input! :thumb:

Last edited:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
But in an 80 that may (hopefully will) see some extreme angles should I be concerned with running a battery that isn't "closed/sealed"? I know the fill holes are plugged but should I be concerned about leakage?

Thanks for the input! :thumb:

Alrighty then...It doesn't appear anyone has any experience with these Exide batteries (but they are fairly new to the market from what I can discern)...

SO, any input on running a non "sealed" battery (i.e. Optima etc) and whether I should be concerned with leaking battery acid? Is everyone here running Optimas or similar in their rigs? Or do I just run the undersized cheapo battery that is in the vehicle until it goes kaput? Kuni Lexus told me the battery is undersized for the vehicle and therefore the 450 failed their "electrical system" test. Apparently the correct size battery is a group 27.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I have dual yellow tops in the diesel and a red top in my 40 in va. So far so good. I almost bought the blue top seal exides for the diesel though...

I need a new battery for the 64 but I think i'm going old school standard battery for it when funds permit.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
No experience wth the Marathon, that's why I didn't post yesterday. I run 2 Exide Orbitals in the 80.. no problems yet after 1.5 yrs. but I think my main one starting to show signs of wear, the truck won't start if I leave it for a few days now. I've been somewhat hard on it, have winched a few times, have left the seat heaters on at least 10x long enough to drain it, park the 80 outside when it's cold, but then again that's what these are made for right? Dual batts still remains one of the best mods ever, there's nothing like turning the key to find your battery is dead, then flipping a toggle switch to get on with your day.

One of these days I'll have a Satruday available to finally take all my used oil in, and bring that battery in as well, have them check it/swap it out if necessary, I'll post up what they tell me. Checker does a pretty good warranty on them, probably same as the marathons? I still remain anti-Optima, and am generally satisfied with the Exides though not overly elated by any means. IMO, the best battery is the one that makes you forget that you have a battery altogether. I feel the same way about hot water heaters, they should just work.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have the Orbitals as well. One in Rachel's 4 runner and one in the LX450. I moved the one in the LX450 to the backup battery spot when I installed Dual Batteries and am using a Yellow top as the primary. The Hellroaring Dual batt setup has the Primary as the one needing to be a deep cycle type.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
The Orbitals are sealed or dry cell batteries, correct? That is what I could gather from a google search...So it would appear the consensus is to run a sealed battery which would exclude the Marathon and leave me (I think) going with either an Exide Orbital or Optima.

I've given Optima several tries so maybe I'll give Exide a try this time around and see what happens. Tim, based on your post it sounds like Checker Auto carries these? I did a search but even the Exide site doesn't seem to have a "Where to buy" link :(

I need a new battery for the 64 but I think i'm going old school standard battery for it when funds permit.

Wes, if you're interested your welcome to the battery in my LX once I get it swapped out...If interested I can get you details re: what it is and the specs to see if it work ok in the 64 :) If nothing else it would be usable until you can get what you really want and the price is right...

Last edited:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
The Orbitals are sealed or dry cell batteries, correct? That is what I could gather from a google search...So it would appear the consensus is to run a sealed battery which would exclude the Marathon and leave me (I think) going with either an Exide Orbital or Optima.

I've given Optima several tries so many I'll give Exide a try this time around and see what happens. Tim, based on your post it sounds like Checker Auto carries these? I did a search but even the Exide site doesn't seem to have a "Where to buy" link :(

Wes, if you're interested your welcome to the battery in my LX once I get it swapped out...If interested I can get you details re: what it is and the specs :)

I bought mine at NAPA.

Wes - if you need a battery, I got Rachel's old one sitting in the garage. You can have it.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yes, but I had to go to more than one Checker to find them in stock. Price was $134.99, so right around $160 with tax and core charge.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Thanks guys!! I'll start looking around

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Wes - if you need a battery, I got Rachel's old one sitting in the garage. You can have it.

Wes, dude you could do a dual-battery setup now :thumb:

Bighead

Trail Ready
I am running an Odyssey in the '99 right now. I also have had issues with Optimas and wanted to try something different. A little spendy but that thing is a beast.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I am running an Odyssey in the '99 right now. I also have had issues with Optimas and wanted to try something different. A little spendy but that thing is a beast.

Thanks for the input Lance - did you find an Odyssey locally or order one and have it shipped and which model did you go with?

How is the 100 working out for you? Need pics :D

Bighead

Trail Ready
Thanks for the input Lance - did you find an Odyssey locally or order one and have it shipped and which model did you go with?

How is the 100 working out for you? Need pics :D
At the time, West Coast Batteries had the best price I could find on the internet. Batteries Plus sells them but I would have had to order it and the price was ~$50 more than West Coast. Shipping wasn't too bad but I can't remember what it was...they give you an actual quote based on weight instead of using a flat shipping rate.

I have the PC1700MJT. The only work needed for install was to make some spacers out of HDPE like this guy did.

The LC is good. It needs some work that I didn't find out about until too late but nothing that makes the wife regret the purchase. Pics will come a bit later when it warms up enough to wash it. :cheers:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
The LC is good. It needs some work that I didn't find out about until too late but nothing that makes the wife regret the purchase. Pics will come a bit later when it warms up enough to wash it. :cheers:

Thanks for the great info Lance!! Glad to hear the 100 turned out ok...Hopefully nothing major that wasn't disclosed :(. My LX also needed some work that we didn't find out about until too late but that hasn't kept the :Princess: from not wanting to let go of it either :hill:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
For Tim and Ken...

Could you do a dunce like me a favor and tell me what model Orbital battery you have? Still looking for one and I've narrowed my choices down to an Odyssey or an Orbital. Just can't seem to determine which Orbital is the one I should be looking for :(

Thanks!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Exide Select Orbital. ORB78DT84, PA 7659519, $134.99, 84 month limited warrranty.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Tim!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok, as requested here's a picture ... :photo: ;)

Attachments

• nak_orbital1.jpg
    nak_orbital1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 177
  • nak_orbital2.jpg
    nak_orbital2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 172

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for taking the pics Tim...You're right...Nothing like the one I sent you a pic of although the #s are close...

I believe the graphics on the batteries have changed but also the one I was looking at was the ORB75DT-84 which is close, but a little "less" of a battery :)