Everyday, do-everything rig camera?

Hey guys - always had a passion for photography, but by no means consider myself well versed when it comes to the finer points of the hobby. I posted this on expedition portal as well - apologies for the double post if any of you are on there as well - just trying to reach a large audience.

Here's what I'm looking for: a replacement to constant, worthless iphone photos while I'm on the road. Whether it be the daily work commute, or driving into the mountains for camping and skiing, I constantly find myself wishing I had a worthy camera sitting in the passanger seat with me so I could pull off to the side and document the daily beauty of Colorado. For a little Florida boy like me, it still hasn't gotten old, and likely never will.

So here's where you all come in - with a SMALL budget (while I save for a new 80 or 100 series Land Cruiser), what would be a great setup for under $300 or so? I pride myself on my craigslist abilities, and have seen some steals on Nikon D40's, Canon 20D's, etc etc etc. I also THOUGHT I was the king of research, but have been humbled by my lack of camera knowledge and complete lack of comprehension when perusing camera blogs. I'm honestly looking for nothing more than a body, and a "do everything" single lens. The photos will be a lot of Colorado landscapes, pictures of the rig, and random shots in between and on road/camping trips. I'm open to all suggestions and advice - thank you all in advance.:cheers:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
She just picked up a Canon PowerShot A2500 for just this purpose for her business. Something to always have and was cheap if it got broken. It takes decent photos but nothing spectacular.

If you want something better, does it have to be a SLR? We also have a Canon G12 that takes great photos and has enough flexibility to stoke a creative streak. The current Canon would be a G1x, but is priced beyond your budget so the previous generation G12 and G13 might work. This is a bigger, heavier camera with a pretty darn good lens and quality sensor.

If you want something more point-n-shoot the S100 is an awesome pocket camera, the equal of the G1x in sensor and lens but a lot smaller. If I'd have known then what I know now I'd have gotten the S95 (the previous S100 and mate to the G12) instead.

She just picked up a Canon PowerShot A2500 for just this purpose for her business. Something to always have and was cheap if it got broken. It takes decent photos but nothing spectacular.

If you want something better, does it have to be a SLR? We also have a Canon G12 that takes great photos and has enough flexibility to stoke a creative streak. The current Canon would be a G1x, but is priced beyond your budget so the previous generation G12 and G13 might work. This is a bigger, heavier camera with a pretty darn good lens and quality sensor.

If you want something more point-n-shoot the S100 is an awesome pocket camera, the equal of the G1x in sensor and lens but a lot smaller. If I'd have known then what I know now I'd have gotten the S95 (the previous S100 and mate to the G12) instead.

Size is genuinely not a factor at all because it will mostly live in the truck. If anything, I'd probably like something a big more substantial (G12 or larger) that at least feels more...durable?...even if that's just an imaginary feeling :confused:

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
Along the lines of durability, is there concern for leaving it in the truck. I also would like to have something that's always in the truck ready, but have been concerned about the temp fluctuations causing harm to the camera.

Along the lines of durability, is there concern for leaving it in the truck. I also would like to have something that's always in the truck ready, but have been concerned about the temp fluctuations causing harm to the camera.

Would something like a pelican case or in a case in the glove box help at all?

-cough-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-cough-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Temperature fluctuations won't harm the camera itself as long as there's no chance of it gathering moisture. The batteries are another story.

If you go with a Pelican case, get one with the pluck foam. My Pelican cases have seen several hundred thousand hard air miles and I've never had anything break (cameras or lenses).

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
my everyday camera...

I have a D40x with the 18-200 lens on it. it's kinda bulky and not in the $$ range you specified, but that ol'd40 rocks. Maybe a deal could be had on ebay.

the first gen Nikon J series are probably reeeaal cheap now. Not the best of that genre of camera if you are photo purist. But dang, it's better than a Point and shoot but not as good as a DSLR.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
wow~!

What a great little setup! I had that 55-200. it's a decent lens escpecially for having trips and in the truck.